Saturday, December 2, 2006

THAT'S JUST WEIRD

I’ve been told I must list six weird things about myself and to tag six fellow bloggers to follow suit. Only problem is: Sheila tagged ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I KNOW WHO WOULDN’T MIND. Therefore, as usual, since I never could follow rules and I’m good at pissing people off, anyone commenting on my blog in slots seven through twelve—YOU’RE IT! You will know who you are because I’ll be checking your blog to make sure you tag people (that is, if you’re not an anonymous commenter or if I get any comments beyond the first six). Anyway, here goes my weirdo ways:

1. I think rats make the best pets. My brother and I used to have gerbils growing up, until they started inbreeding and cannibalizing one another. My wife and I have three rats in our livingroom right now. Of course, they’re all females.

2. If I had my way, I’d get a brushcut. However, my wife is against the idea. She says I leave too much grease on the pillow from the butchwax and that this hairstyle makes me look mean.

3. Unlike most American citizens, I have never had a car payment. I’ve only owned one new vehicle in my entire life. Also, I've never done my own laundry (haven't a clue).

4. I didn’t propose to my wife until our offer was accepted on our house. I lived with her parents while she stayed in our new home. Marriage came a year later.

5. My parents didn’t know I graduated from college for approximately eighteen months, even though I was living under their roof. Something to do with living at home rent free until I completed school.

6. My all-time favorite Christmas CD is “The Mother of all Flagpole Christmas Albums.” It’s a compliation CD of a bunch of bands from Athens and Atlanta, Georgia. Songs include:

“Santa Claus, Go Straight to the Ghetto” by Seersucker
“Christmas in August” by Bloodkin
“Christmas with the Devil” by Allgood
“Jingle Bells” by the Flat Duo Jets
“Santa’s Hard” by Follow For Now
“White Christmas” by Vic Chesnutt

…and sixteen other songs sung by Deacon Lunchbox, Kevn Kinney (yeah no “n”), Bliss, Michelle Malone, The Woggles, Dreams So Real, Widespread Panic, Daisy, Labrea Stompers, Hear It Love It Dance It, Five-Eight, Bill Taft & Kelly Hogan, Marlee MacLeod, The Opal Foxx Quartet, and Hetch Hetchy.

14 comments:

Rudolph the rat said...

Grandma got runned over by a reindeer. What a rat.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Since I don't have a blog, I will comment on your 6 items: 1) I remember the gerbils inbredding etc... I didn't like when they all basically got sick (no rats in our house). 2) I always liked your brush cuts. They made you look country and cool. I think the ladies liked it too! 3) Wow, no car payments. I hate them, but I have one new minivan payment and a car lease. I do try to drive my vehicles that I won for ~7 yrs. 4) Smart thinking on your later proposal to your wife (i.e. living with the in-laws). 5) Another money saver still living at home even after you graduated 8 mos. earlier. You had me fooled by I was still living at home even after I had a job for some time (yrs). 6) My all time X-mas CD is "A Very Special Christmas" with songs from Eurythmics, Bruce Springsteen, Jimmy Iovine, John Mellencamp, Sting, Bob Seger, Bryan Adams, Jon Bon Jovi, Alison Moyet ....

Anonymous said...

Grandpa is going to sue the pants off Santa, the sequel. Nice post.
I don't think you will get more than six comments today. MW

Shionge said...

Yes JR..I do think it's weird too have rats as pets. Still I believe there are other weird pets around too :P

Jo said...

JR, well I would be happy to pick up your tag and run with it, however.... there is absolutely nothing, I mean nothing, weird about me. So, what would I possibly have to say?

****chuckle****

Josie

JR's Thumbprints said...

Well Josie, since blog responses are a bit slow today, I'm going to follow the rules and visit your blog right now. I suspect there will be no further comments on my blog today.

Laura said...

Good job, but you can't tag me because I've already done it. I'll tell you, this tag thing can be very stressful. ha ha.

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim, loved today's post. Great stuff. I've already been tagged by Helen, but couldn't get back on her blog again; I did the six things, but didn't tag anybody, either ;) Rule breakers! The Flat Duojets used to play in Chapel Hill and Durham, NC all the time. I have some raggedy story about them somewhere. I was a VMI rat but am not a good pet. I am driving Trent Vanegas' old paid-off car and am now doing laundry -- it's not hard, really, especially if you do it the way I do it ;)

Happy Sunday! Much better than a Blue Monday :->

Anonymous said...

what an interesting post, I smiled all the way to the end... the closest I've been to a rat is when I visited Disneyland and saw Mickey. am so lame! :)

thank you for the visit and the comment!
M.E.

Anonymous said...

JR: I just wanted to stop by and say, "Hi." and thanks for commenting over at Necromerica. I don't get many visitors.

I guess I fall within the 7 - 12 group but, in all honesty, I think every post on my blog contains at least six weird things. And I also must admit that I'm a little dim-witted when it comes to the technology - so I'm not even really sure what you mean by "tagging" people.

But anyway, I enjoyed your above post and the few others I've read. Keep it up. It's funny, I was just thinking about getting a brush cut or shaving it entirely. Hair is such a pain.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully that's notyour "rat" in your hand that you are holding!!!! Wow!!!! What have you been feeding that thing?

Anonymous said...

hahaha totally awesome Jim!! Sorry, Helen tagged the people I knew so I got who was left. hehe. I'm really glad you did it though! Great read!

r's musings said...

I'm not into rats, something about their long tails...no way. If you want a brushcut, you should get a brushcut, although there may be consequences, such as taking over the laundry... Enjoyed your weird post, Jim!

Anonymous said...

WHAT A RAT! OR IS THAT A RACOON?