Thursday, December 7, 2006

DONTE'S INFERNO













I’ll never forget Donte Williams, a 7th grade student of mine at St. Matthew’s Middle School in Detroit. Unusually small for his age, he’d sit in his chair, legs dangling, whisking the floor, thumb discreetly inserted in his mouth, sucking and daydreaming his life away. He’d stare out the window for countless hours, his mind elsewhere. I’d constantly remind him, “Donte, unless you plan on attending summer school, I suggest you start working on your class assignment.”

Always one to acknowledge my requests, he’d quickly fill in the blanks with whatever words popped into his head—never mind the word bank—and he’d draw quivery lines connecting words and terms based on fate and not fact. “I’m done,” he’d say, interjecting zero enthusiasm, a more controlled deadness in the tone of his voice. Then he’d drift back to a different time and place, his body physically here, but his mind far far away, until I’d reel him in again with the same observation, “Donte, you didn’t even try.”

One day, right before the Christmas break, a sad tired look on his face, Donte asked if he could speak to me in the hallway. “Sure,” I answered. It didn’t take him long to say what had been troubling him. “My dad beats me.” I immediately asked whether there were any physical marks and he lifted his shirt, showing me elongated crimson welts. “He uses an extension cord,” he added.

I told Donte that I had a moral and legal responsibility to report child abuse and that more than likely a social worker would visit his home. Later that week, I had learned from the principal that they were trying to locate his mother. Meanwhile, Donte continued attending class and staring out the window. I could almost imagine his thoughts: Will I get a beating after school today?

As for the father, who happened to be—of all occupations—a Detroit police officer, I tried explaining my situation after we accidentally met in the corridor, “Whenever a student tells me something of this nature, I’m legally obligated to report it.”

He, in turn, replied, “As far as I’m concerned, Social Services can keep the little son-of-a-bitch.” I saw Donte Williams once more after the holidays, then he disappeared from my life. If he had stayed in my class until the end of the school year, I would have, without a doubt, given him a social promotion to the next grade level. I saw no need in compounding his agony.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

People like that shouldn't be allow to be anywhere near other human beings let alone children

ivan said...

"It's all the same
Only the names are changed..."
--Bon Jovi.

We see them all the time, don't we,the teachers.
I was teaching guitar many years ago. The kid' hands were seared with cigarette burns.

(Good writing, by the way, but we are somehow expecting to be told more, to have the story more like fiction...But perhaps the truth i more compelling).

Anonymous said...

Jim, Good real life story. Unbelievable but it happens and you're right about reporting what Donte said. Obviously, there was things happening at home that distracted him at school and needed to be fixed. It would be interesting to see what happened and where is he now. --Bro, Ron

r's musings said...

Such a sad story. Police officers and military men...guess I can't judge them all, but I've known a number of them who abuse their power. Cool photo, Jim. Taken a few years ago? lol

S. Turow said...

Was he a Catholic?

Michelle's Spell said...

Such a sad story, Jim. I think you could do something with it as a side story with the teacher character.

Jo said...

Okay, that story just broke my heart. Where is poor little Donte now? Perhaps you may run into him in your present job one day?

I once had the occasion to have to report child abuse, and the social worker told me that the worst offenders are police, lawyers, teachers, doctors. Can you believe it? How horrible is that? It's heartbreaking, isn't it?

Josie

Michael Nolan said...

I taught at a Hull House preschool in the Uptown area of Chicago in the 70s. Joey was a classic case of neglect. He lived down the street in a grim building and several of the windows in their apartment were broken out. His mother was an alcoholic or maybe junkie who ran a small "thrift store." He usually came to us dirty and hungry. I'll always remember the evening I walked by their building and saw him playing in the snow--barefooted.

Laura said...

O.K. Now you got me crying. I hate hearing stories like this. It's just so sad. I mean, I believe in disciplining a child, but there is no need to beat a child. Parents like this should be horsewhipped!

Anonymous said...

I like the way you presented this.
Title says much about the work. May also be your inferno? MW

Anonymous said...

We need to incarcinate those distructive parents to their children AND don't give a chance to learn in prison. They need to rot in hell!

Anonymous said...

what a shame. people like that piss me off. very touching story.

Anonymous said...

nice...sad - but great writing.

Anonymous said...

Is he Dante Culpepper now????