Monday, December 4, 2006

A BIT OF DOGGEREL & TWO REPRIEVES

Nothing could be more appropriate than the light dusting of snow, each tiny snowflake as unique as the calcified stones I placed on my urologist’s office desk. He, of course, ignored my action. “The stone is so small,” he said, examining the x-ray of my left kidney, “that I suggest you drink plenty of water and I’ll see you back here in six months.” Just like that, a simple handshake and I’m leaving his office, our meeting no longer a regular visit, instead, a post-op evaluation.

It’s been approximately ninety days (a four pound weight increase per month) since I’ve stepped onto a treadmill or elliptical; It’s been even longer since I’ve lifted weights. This morning I’m back at the gym continuing my daily routine. A fresh start. A new beginning. I’ve been granted a reprieve.

In other news, a former student shared the following letter with me:

Dear Mr. Remick:

Enclosed you will find a copy of the Court of Appeals’ opinion in your case. Congratulations, because, as you can see, they have reversed your conviction and have granted you a new trial. The opinion was also chosen to be published. I have included copies of the case that the Court of Appeals connects on, People v Sullivan, 392 Mich 324 (1974); People v Pollick, 448 Mich 376 (1995); People v Hardin, 421 Mich 296 (1984); and People v Goldsmith, 411 Mich 555 (1981)

As you can see from reading the opinion, the Court held that the instruction given by the trial Judge constituted reversible error. They also held that the instructions as given gave too much sympathy for the victim. In effect, the Court of Appeals held that the trial Judge’s instruction created a coercive effect on the jury and pressured them to reach a verdict.

Again, congratulations and I am not sure of the exact time frame that will be involved before you will be brought back for a new trial. Take care and let me know what you think.

Sincerely,
The Law Offices of Dewey, Cheetum, & Howe

Dear Reader:
Make that two reprieves.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carry on lifting those weights :-)

Well done to your student.

Michelle's Spell said...

Love the snowflake/ kidney stone comparison. I can't believe it's snowing!

Special said...

Dowe cheatthem andhow are on those car guy's shows with the Boston axcents. Wow!

Anonymous said...

Jim, Congrats on your now to only have a much later follow up with your Dr. for kidney stones. I saw in the words, "drink lots of water". Haven't we heard that one many times from Dad?? Looks like you are getting a head start in regards to your New Year's resolutions (i.e. getting back into shape!!!!!). Wow, in regards to giving inmates reprieves, looks like it does happen in the real world. And his case is public so everyone can take a look at it coming right from his lawyer! Hopefully it was an extensive deep dive look into his case which it sounds like it happened. I also like the analogy of snowflakes and k. stones. I don't like the snow just yet, but the kids want a "white" Christmas. --Bro, Ron

Anonymous said...

Post op evaluation. How do you like them apples? Watch the bill on that one. Glad to see you are getting back to your healthy routine. Watch the dehydration, and keep plenty of H2O on hand.
MW

Jo said...

Looks like you and Mr. Remick are getting an early Christmas present. Good for you...!

Be sure to drink LOTS and LOTS of water.

Josie

m said...

Glad to hear you are back at the gym. So, you are brainy and brawny?

Erik Donald France said...

Three cheers for the reprieve and back to the gym routine. Mercy at last!

Snow and a full moon in the morning -- cold but cool, too.

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear you'll be back at your routine (In shape)!!!! :}

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, to both you and Mr. Remick.

Anonymous said...

Great to see and hear you're back!! Have nice holidays.

r's musings said...

Glad to hear the good news, Jim!