Wednesday, December 27, 2006

ANOTHER DAY IN THE JOINT

I could’ve taken that stretch of time off between Christmas and the New Year and traveled south for some much needed rest and relaxation, but I chose to work instead. My fondest memory of a vacation where I did absolutely nothing is probably the time my wife and I rented a condominium in Orlando, Florida. My alarm clock came in the form of a leaf blower humming along at the crack of dawn. Angry, I had decided to give the lawn maintenance person an earful. Only problem: he did not a-speaka-da-English. So I got up early and read a novel by Sue Miller appropriately titled, “The Distinguished Guest.” I had become familiar with her work back in the mid-80’s with a subscription to Ploughshares. Her short story, “What Ernest Says,” not only peeked my interest in her writing—the story itself, about the relationship between a young white girl and a black boy who sat directly behind her in class—made me realize that not everything appears as it should.

I decided to work this Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday in the prison. The best time to be in a correctional facility is during the holidays because most of the prisoners are too damned depressed to argue with you. Funny thing is, when I first went into teaching I had one thing in mind: summers off and lots of vacation time. I remember my mentor, Mrs. Lillian Fishtahler (pictured above, January 4, 1988), telling me that vacations wouldn’t be easy to come by. “Are you kidding me?” I asked, somewhat surprised at her statement. Now I understand. She encouraged me to continue my studies and perhaps was the only staff member at Oakland University who understood my need to work while doing my student teaching. Who else was going to pay my school bill?

So, as a correctional educator, not everything appears as it should. I’m spending my three workdays scoring tests, writing student evaluations, and replenishing the handouts in my file cabinets. Although my prisoner contact is minimal this week, I’m looking forward to a better 2007, where I can help a few of them obtain their GED.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did she teach you how to square dance? Dotsie Doe...MW

Anonymous said...

Well my week off has turned into a week of best rest due to this very nasty inconvient cold... but... I guess we are all right were supposed to be. Your doing a huge service by being a teacher. I am sure I don't have to remind you of that! Be well. ~M

Jo said...

I have to work this week too, and yesterday was my birthday. Bah humbug. It's actually quite nice, because hardly anyone is here and we get all the chocolates to ourselves.

BTW, another cute picture...!

Cheers,
Josie

Anonymous said...

Jim, I can guess why you like Joy Division and New Order. Here's to a rip roaring 2007 -- and many more posts and pubs'

Cheers' E'

Anonymous said...

I'm curious what changes are coming down in the correctional system in Michigan with the cuts that have to be occuring. I assume with the push for education that you get quite a few people channeled your way.

I spoke to my friend one time, the one who works at the womaen's facility, and he said that he enjoys working there more than any public school. He states the women are motivated and any woman who causes trouble will lose privileges. A captive student. A teacher's dream.

You take care, JR.

Nancy said...

You are a blessing to your students and to those of us in the blogging world that respect you for the thankless job you do!

Anonymous said...

I too made the mistake of thinking I'd have summers off when I went into teaching. It's only happened once in my 20 years of teaching at Xavier University in Louisiana.

Anonymous said...

Jim, I took a vacation week and had my last week paid for. BUT I've been doing the chores and fixing up things around the house. Keep the faith and keep blogging. --Bro, Ron

Nikeroo said...

This is a wonderful way to spend Christmas! Why didn't I think of it!