Saturday, December 30, 2006

A NEW YEAR'S EVE TRIBUTE













The most difficult public reading I’ve ever done occurred on January 3, 2004, at the Chas. Verheyden Funeral Home in Grosse Pointe, Michigan. My father-in-law had died from complications related to Parkinson’s Disease on New Year’s Eve, and as my wife made phone call after phone call where she was greeted with “Happy New Year,” I sat in my mother-in-law’s living room putting together his eulogy. Although I’ve lost my original words, I still have four small notecards in my nightstand, a semi-outlined presentation of what I needed to say. In honor of my father-in-law, I’ve recreated those words. What better way to end my last post of 2006 then to pay tribute to a man I loved with all my heart and still miss. Here it is:

Parkinson’s is a funny disease. Some of you may have already heard this story; however, it’s worth telling again. One day, C___ and I went to visit her dad at his home. We knew with Parkinson’s that he had good days and bad days. On this particular day I needed to borrow a battery charger. I thought he had one, I just couldn’t recall how many volts it was or where he had kept it. All I could recall was that it was the color blue. After our visit, I told C___ “your dad was really sharp today. He told me his battery charger was on his workbench in the basement and the correct voltage and that I was more than welcome to borrow it.”

On the drive home, battery charger by my side, I had determined that he was having a good day. It didn’t matter, as C___ pointed out, that he did not know who we were on this particular occasion. It did not matter that he did not know his very own daughter or son-in-law. You see: He was willing to help out a complete stranger on that very day. That was the type of man he was—a quiet, gentle, generous man.

Parkinson’s is a funny disease. But it did not define him. It only magnified his character. In the nursing home he smoked his imaginary pipe. Why? Because he had smoked a pipe for years. He gave me imaginary money from his imaginary wallet. Why? Because he had always bought me dinner and drinks. He showed concern for his income tax. Why? Because he was an accountant for GM and didn’t want to miss his filing deadline. It didn’t matter that he hadn’t done his taxes in years. He also traveled plenty. He took his wife of 45 years on numerous cruises. He even paid for my vacation more than once. Two years ago, when he was in the nursing home, before we sprung him from the joint, he complained (but only mildly) that “this is the worst cruise ship I’ve ever stayed on.”

Although he had Parkinson’s, he never lost his motivation to walk. I can only guess that it was from all those years of waltzing with his wife. He never ever complained. He served his country in WWII. He wasn’t too fond of having his picture taken; however, earlier this week, we managed to find approximately 700 photos of him. Since he was 81, I’m sure there are even more pictures. If you haven’t had the opportunity to see parts of the DVD slide show I put together, please take a moment in celebrating his life with us. In closing: Daniel S____ will be missed, but not forgotten.

To start the new year off with a bang, I will repost my winning entry of The Thinker's 2006 Championship Round of the SYTYCB Contest (So You Think You Can Blog). Here’s to the year 2007! May we enjoy it to the fullest.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's interesting what you said about how it magnifies who they really were, and sounds like a great guy.

Happy New Year, man.

Anonymous said...

I will be chasing spirits all day and will keep your father-in-law in mind as well. Congrats on your award. The thinker knows talent when she reads it. Have a safe and Happy New Years Eve.
MW :-)

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

Here's to a happy new year and you winning a Pushcart or Best American! Love the eulogy -- those are so hard to write. Have fun today!

Anonymous said...

oh my what a lovely tribute. i am SO glad i stumbled onto this. we love cruising and my mom in her final years was "confused", the worst cruise ship ever! that was SO sweet!!!! i absolutely loved it! may he rest in peace. happy new year....bee

Jo said...

JR, what a lovely tribute to your father-in-law. He would be very proud, no doubt. He sounded like a great guy, and it's a tribute to you because girls very often marry a man who reminds them of their father.

Another great photo as well.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

Cheers,
Josie

Anonymous said...

He sounds so happy. I've tagged you to write your "5 things you probably didn't know about me" post.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jim and all, I thoroughly enjoyed your post and especially loved your father-in-law's quip -- "this is the worst cruise ship I’ve ever stayed on." A perfect way to describe any number of things! Happy 2007 and best wishes and good luck in all your endeavors, especially of the writing kind! Cheers, Erik

Anonymous said...

May your father-in-law RIP. Life goes on. Have a Happy New Years Eve!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, nice picture. Looks like you are at Disney World or Disney Land. On a train, call me Wayne.....

Anonymous said...

It's always New Years that makes us stop and think about the past and our role in it. Good posting. I look forward to reading more of your blog in the coming year. I enjoy your way with words and your insight. You have a rich talent of communication.\

Happy New Year

Laura said...

Very touching post. Two of the residents that I care for at work have parkinson's. The way you describe your father-in-law's symtoms, it sounded like he had some of the same symtoms that the alzhemer's patients that I have cared for when I worked in the special care unit. I did not know that parkinson's affect the memory too. Like they say, you learn something new every day. Hope you and yours have a happy and healthy new year.

Anonymous said...

That was really beautiful.

I wish you the best for 2007 and have a wonderful night and rest of the year.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year JR.

Here's to more great stories (and pictures) in 2007!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first place So You Think You Can Blog win!!!

Anonymous said...

Thumbprints,

Just stopping in to wish you and yours a Happy and Blessed New Year.

This was a really touching post. Your Father in Law sounds like a really nice and gentle....man.

Blessings,

Ellie

Anonymous said...

That's lovely. Especially enjoyed his imaginary money and wallet.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

That is a really sweet tribute. And an interesting post for people who don't know the person to whom you are giving tribute...hard to do both sometimes!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful eulogy and a boost to live life better! Be well my blogger friend and all the very best for you and your family! ~M

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to your father-in-law, Jim! A great eulogy! And Happy New Year. I'm looking forward to reading more of your great blog this year!