Friday, December 8, 2006

"THE FURNACE" WENT OUT


Why is it so damned difficult for a small literary magazine to survive in Detroit? Not one, not two, but several competing journals have been in Chicago for as long as I can remember. So why not Detroit? Not the Metropolitan Detroit area, but the heart of the city. Detroit.


In the Fall of 2002, a journal called “The Furnace,” promised to hang around for eternity, at least that’s the way I saw it, showcasing local writers, artists, and photographers. I actually believed them, or wanted to, and mailed off a check for a one-year subscription of four issues. Little did I know it would take 2 ½ years for me to get those four issues. But my faith never wavered. Some of my very own short stories appeared in issues 2, 3, and 4 (that probably says it all). What can I say? They had my local support.

I liked the anonymous Chrysler millwright’s metal magazine racks that held “The Furnace” face out; the metal flames concealing too much of the magazine, but drawing the attention of a few wayward customers at CafĂ© De Troit, Eph McNally’s Deli, and Avalon International Breads. I even tried to gauge the success of the magazine by some of the writers appearing in it: Jenny Bitner, Best American Nonrequired Reading 2002. David Barringer , We Were Ugly So We Made Beautiful Things. Ella Singer, Pushcart Nominee 2002. I thought for sure "The Furnace" would survive. A telltale sign of their success: my 2004 Christmas present of The Best American Short Stories Series; they listed “The Furnace” in the back of the book. Perhaps this would drum up new subscribers and contributors.

I should’ve known better. Their attempt at bringing serial fiction back failed miserably. Who wants to follow a story when the next installment takes 6 months to get published? However, I faithfully reread the previous issues to keep pace with Zuriel Wolfgang Lott’s “Feedback," (how's that for irony?). Near the end of their existence, the fiction editor accepted my serial titled “Ghost Suit,” which would appear in the next 3 issues. Then the downward spiral continued—the very same editor asked if I would replace her. “We’re meeting at Nemo’s, a bar in Corktown, on Monday,” she had written in her email dated December 11, 2004, “I could introduce you to the advisory board.” I graciously declined, and shortly thereafter “The Furnace” went up in flames.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sci-fi used to huge on the magazine circuit infact most of the big names got started that way. Its a real shame that these types of magazines are slowly dissapering.

Anonymous said...

I wish that we had some journals in Detroit. I think it would be great if they could hang around. Perhaps in the future. Is there someone we could write about that?

Michelle's Spell said...

I love the cover of The Furnace! It's very cool-looking -- I thought it might have been from the 70s. Love that look! Anyway, literary journals are so so hard to keep going. Wish it was easier.

Erik Donald France said...

Simple solution: online edition that's kept current for a tiny budget. Paper edition can still slowly make its way to print so everybody's happy eventually. After my experience at Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill, though, I have little faith in the pragmatism of many writers/editors.

Almost unique said...

I loved Jack and Helen Zucker's "The Bridge" when it was around. That Jack was quite a character.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing that they lasted this long. Most startup magazines fail within the first 3 years.

Anonymous said...

What a bummer! It sounds like it had some potential, too. Sorry to hear that. Sounded like they really enjoyed your work!

Anonymous said...

I thought they were backed by Corktown enthusiasts. Could it just be the turn in Michigan's economy? Anyway, sorry to hear they are not publishing. MW

Laura said...

Sad that these local magazines aren't around so much anymore.

Anonymous said...

The reason may be is that they were small and never got bigger???? I think one of the previous readers got it correctly - it was the turn in the economy, just like now with the Auto Companies. Bad publicity for the Big 3 here in Detroit when it may not be justified. Not look, they're cutting their ranks in 1/2. Nice reading. Keep up the good work and the TIME will come...