Saturday, October 21, 2006

THIS IS NOT ABOUT DICK DEBECK

Some of my stories are about real people. It’s funny how when you try to be very accurate, it’s boring and there’s nothing there. But when you distort the reality, it comes back stronger than before and is often closer to the truth.
—Tatyana Tolstaya

Thirteen odd years ago, on my wedding day, I wore Chuck Taylor’s and Dick DeBeck’s hat. Chuck Taylor’s are cheap canvassed high-tops. Dick DeBeck’s hat is … well … Dick DeBeck’s hat. Dick DeBeck is on the Advisory Board of the Ludington Visiting Writers. Click on (LVW) , scroll all the way down, and you can see Dick DeBeck.

But this is not about Chuck Taylor’s, Dick DeBeck, or my wedding per se. My wedding guests were not preapproved and LEIN cleared (Law Enforcement Information Network). I was allowed more than six people at my wedding. My wedding band exceeded $50.00 in value. I did not have to wear state issued shoes. And thank God, my wife was not forced to hold a cheap plastic wedding bouquet.

On the other hand, Prisoner Echols and his fiancee had to abide by all these rules and more. He asked me, wait, no, he told me, “I won’t be in class tomorrow. I’m getting married.” I learned that his soon-to-be-wife was a topless dancer at BT’s (The Booby Trap) and that they were so in love that she was willing to wait, for however long it takes, for him to be released from prison.

The day after their ceremony, Prisoner Echols proudly displayed some cheap Polaroid’s for everyone to see. I said, “I think she did a lap dance for me once.” He simply collected his photos and sat down in the back of the classroom. I guess he did not like my comment. Perhaps it was the sudden realization that other men had easier access to his wife than he. Just to hammer home my point, I asked, “So where did you go on your honeymoon?”

23 comments:

Odat said...

OMG..I can't believe you really said that!!! LOL...
BTW, thanks for the visit...and what is Sweetest Day??????

Peace

zeroimpact said...

You had to say that didn't you
LOL
Thanks for dropping by
:)

JR's Thumbprints said...

For an explanation of "Sweetest Day" go to michellespells.blogspot.com for further explanation (recent post). It's a midwestern thang.

Anonymous said...

Hey why are your eyes so red? Was that picture taken before or after the lap dance? Good story.
That student might have gotten the message. I have not heard of him returning yet. Nice picture.MW

Anonymous said...

whats a wedding ban?

Anonymous said...

I guess she'll be the one earning the money, eh?

Anonymous said...

Wow..that's mean. Funny, but mean!!

Special said...

Is wedding ban where you put deordorizer under your arms when you gets married?

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had the first lap dance on your wedding!! :}

r's musings said...

Jim, you are so bad! Makes for a great story, though! Sounds like prisoner Echols got more than he bargained for, the 'booby' prize...

Erik Donald France said...

Oh Lord, too sad. Stuck in prison and married. . . Good luck to them! Maybe it'll be the ideal framework for longevity, assuming conjugal visits.

Anonymous said...

Having them both separated will be great for the world since they won't produce anymore idiots!

JR's Thumbprints said...

Hey 5th commentator, I guess we both made a typo. I forgot the big olde English "D", as in wedding band (and not a polka band either). I'll see about correcting it later. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

ok but i'm not a published author either!!!

Anonymous said...

As if all books and magazines are error free?

Michelle's Spell said...

Jim,

You are wicked! I nearly died laughing on this one. Great post!

Laura said...

Funny post. I love the picture. I can't believe you said that poor man. And why would anyone marry someone in prison or a "booby bouncer" is beyond me. I must be getting old.

Anonymous said...

Told you, JR! You can be a scriptwriter for "Prison Break." That was both very funny and a tad sad. c",)

the correctionist said...

Great slice of life. Though the photo of you is a bit of all right, can we see the cheap Polaroids anyway? I know, I have no class -- pun intended.

cash said...

Ouch. Now I wish I were a prison educator, just so I could say stuff like that.

Anonymous said...

Jim, That was a great comment! Keep bringing them on! :) --Bro, Ron

Anonymous said...

Nice shoes!

misha said...

wow. the booby trap is a CHAIN strip club - one in Miami also