Thursday, October 26, 2006

I HAVE A DEEP, DARK SECRET

In 1992, when a Catholic priest (the actual cousin of Guido Sarducci of Saturday Night Live fame) wished me well at our end of the school year luncheon, the other teachers, one by one, approached me. They pretty much said the same thing, “I didn’t know you were leaving.”

“Neither did I,” I replied. “I think I was let go.” Let go, at the time, seemed much nicer, had less sting, then saying, “Hey, I just got fired by a Catholic priest.” I can’t say I was shocked. Father Novelly and I never really did get along. I don’t think he really understood me, where I was coming from.

I remember taking my seventh grade class to the Saint Matthew’s Church for confession. This took valuable time away from instruction in the classroom, so I would count it toward the one hour of religion per week requirement forced upon me. I had asked another staff person, a teacher/nun why she couldn’t teach the religion class. She said, “Don’t you think I get enough religion?” I told her I hadn’t been to church in years, which only reinforced her beliefs that I was the right man for the job. Earlier in the school year I had surveyed my students. “How many of you are Catholic?” Seven hands reached skyward out of twenty-six. That meant nineteen of my students would have to sit in the pews, while seven others went to confession. It didn’t seem right to me. As my last student, Johnny, left the confessional booth (I had learned that the divider no longer existed, sinner and priest sat face to face) he said to me, “Father Novelly told me to tell you it’s your turn.”

I panicked. I’ll admit it. I hadn’t confessed my sins in at least a decade. I said to Johnny, “Tell Father Novelly that I’m not comfortable with the arrangement, afterall, he signs my paycheck.” The rest of the class started laughing. They got a kick out of my statement. Johnny entered the confessional, quickly came back out, and said, “Father Novelly said that’s okay.”

“What do you mean—okay? No, it’s not okay.” I said.

“For you to go in there,” Johnny said reassuringly, nodding toward the curtained booth.

I sent Johnny back into the confessional again. He didn’t come out right away. I sat with my students, wondering what was going on. Johnny reappeared after what seemed like eternity. He looked at me, and said, “Are we going back to the classroom?”

Yes. Yes we are. At least for the time being.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny! MW

Diet of Worms said...

Mea culpa, mea culpa, you culpa.

Anonymous said...

You can be fired by the chruch?

Some how that seems soo wrong...

r's musings said...

You still haven't confessed your deep, dark secret...have you?

cathouse teri said...

I think Novelly may be a misnomer.

Cheesy said...

I would have published your comment but was a post not meant for comedy...
but ty for visiting and really enjoyed reading yours!
Chit I miss Joey lol

Laura said...

Funny post. Great picture. Why is it so difficult for us to go to confession? We tell all our friends our sins with no problem. And the neighbors all seem to know too. But it is a scary thing to do.

ZZZZZZZ said...

what the hell! How can you be let go from catholic school? Did they think you were the son of the devil or something?

Anonymous said...

Jim, All I have to say is that there is no way in hell I would have convessed my sins to my BOSS! I could see conspiracies written all over this. Good that you left. It makes me wonder as I supposedly am a "C". Nice picture. I remember it well. --Bro, Ron

Anonymous said...

I've never done a confession. If I did, I would be too busy fidgeting as I don't like small dark places.
And I agree with other comments left here - you can be fired by the church?
Helen x

Anonymous said...

Cool photo! It looks like it was during those missing "teeth" years.

Cheri said...

I love the fake smile you have holding that bible. My brother had one that indicated the photographer would be dead after the shoot, the summer that he had his senior photos taken. The photographer, for some strange reason, thought that that death glare shot would be perfect for one of our final choices for prints that would be passed out to friends and family alike.

I could see it in my head- the wall-sized portrait hanging in the family room, my brother looking as natural with that bible as Dahmer with a girlfriend.

onan the bavarian said...

Good on ya, not being bullied by the father.

Good photo.

Anonymous said...

Allelua! Let's give praise to everybody out there in ze world!