Thursday, October 19, 2006

THE UNTITLED, THE UNWRITTEN

A writer’s material is what he cares about.
—John Gardner

Lately I’ve been thinking of the seven young black men (all under twenty-one) in my morning classes. I’ve wanted to write something about them for quite some time, but I’m at a loss for words. What can I say?—They’re like a pack of wolves. None of them are interested in learning. They’re gang bangers. They’d rather talk about their hood, about bitches and whores and how many niggers they’ve killed. Every other word is N-this and N-that. I’ve tried to intervene. I’ve said, “You know, those bitches and whores are somebody’s sister or mother.” They don’t care. I’m Caucasian. Why listen? I know not to correct them on the use of the N-word on account of my race. I just tell them to quiet down. The older inmates get annoyed. They look at me, as if to say, “Do something, or we will.”

I’ve confronted the loudest of the bunch on several occasions. “Look,” I say, “there’s no need to shout at each other. You’re sitting at the same table.” I remind them that I don’t have a seating chart. “We’re all adults and should be able to control our tongues in here.” It doesn’t work, even when I’ve kicked the ringleader out. He calls me a N-this and N-that all the way down the corridor. I’ve tried to redirect him, to get him to study. He orders me to get him a book, a pencil, and some paper, as if I’m one of the very same bitches and whores they speak of. I tell him that I’m not here to serve it up. “Get your own damn book,” I say. He laughs. They all laugh. His latest trick is to pick his nose, get it to bleed. He requests to go back to his cell. I tell him no. “Go use the bathroom,” I suggest. He whines about his rights, that I can’t deny him his rights. “Fuck your rights,” I want to say to him, to them. But I don’t.

An eighth young black man ignores them. He sits up front. He’s lighter complected, has freckles. He’s working on Algebra and preparing for his GED Exams. “Would it be okay for me to remain in your class,” he asks, “once I’m finished with my exams?” I check his TABE scores, and tell him he could qualify as a classroom tutor. He looks horrified. He doesn’t want to be put in a position where he’d have to help the other seven youngsters in the back. I don’t blame him. I say, “Look, try to make the best out of a bad situation. Try to learn as much as you can before you’re paroled.” He understands what I’m talking about. He didn’t come to prison to make friends, this isn’t a bed and breakfast, or sixth grade camp. He wants to learn from his mistakes. He knows he’s done something wrong, that it isn’t his place to question authority. He wants to leave here, to go unnoticed. He’s worth writing about.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that story.

At least you have to will to keep trying I'm sure a lot of people in your posistion would just stop caring.

ClinkShrink said...

Cool story. It always amazes me when a chronically mentally ill prisoner comes to me and complains about having to be around guys like that. Just goes to show you that you can still have common sense even if you have a psychotic disorder.

Erik Donald France said...

The most telling and visceral detail involves nose and blood. Touche.

Anonymous said...

Inspiring story. I was touched.

Ellie

ZZZZZZZ said...

How do you do that job everyday and not be scared? I'm scared just from reading about it!

Anonymous said...

I have such a safe, boring life compared to you. I love reading about your action-packed tales! :p

Anonymous said...

All in a days work. I don't have to deal with the gang bangers but I see them soluting one another as if this is some kind of "Club",
and their all VIP's. Good Story and nice illustration. MW

r's musings said...

I applaud your commitment to teach inmates every day. Interesting post, Jim.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

JR -I think of you similarly to the wonderful teachers who work with my 3 girls (they have autism.) A special breed of educators. You measure your success in microns -- but I and the light skinned man convert them to miles. It's easy to teach the best and the brightest. What you do take balls and heart, a rare combo.

Kim

Laura said...

Great Post!

I guess the only thing you can do is teach the ones who are willing to learn and keep trying to get the ones who don't care either way to start wanting to learn. Tough job. I would hate to be in your shoes. Having to deal with that stuff everyday would totally stress me out.

Jo said...

Omigosh, my heart goes out to that fellow. Some people really do get some bad breaks and want to make the best of their lives, don't they? I hope you are able to keep an eye on him and perhaps mentor him a bit. It may make all the difference in his life.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Interesting and a great story posted to your blog. Your illustrations are real everyday. Just hope you can turn off the light when you leave and get back to your "other" family at home! They are the ones who keep me going everyday. --Bro, Ron

Michelle's Spell said...

Great quote and post, Jim. Are you well, most importantly? I hope everything is good with the vile stone! Anyway, loved your caring and concern. Admire your courage in face of all that pain and sadness.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. To answer your question Michelle, "Nothing has changed." Basically, I'm tired of having stones, I'm tired of writing about stones, and I'm sure everyone's tired of reading about stones. Life goes on.

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,
This is one of my favorite posts of yours. I could see all the students and love the Gardner quote. Brilliant!

GrizzBabe said...

How do you do that job everyday and still maintain your sanity? How do you do that job everyday and manage to not be angry and cynical?