Tuesday, October 3, 2006

BACK TO THE DAILY GRIND

After two weeks off waiting to produce a stone, I returned to prison. A few concerned corrections officers stopped by to see how I was doing, a rather large “hug a thug” counselor flipped me off from the Food Technology classroom (he undoubtedly was rustling up some grub), and a low functioning inmate kept asking me, “Are you still constipated?”

Work is still work. It’s nice to be back into my semi-normal routine—even if I can’t recall any earth-shattering details besides my numerous trips to the water fountain. There’s plenty to be thankful for. What if these very same health issues occurred when I was renewing my teaching certificate? It’s highly unlikely accommodations would have been granted. My teaching certificate and job would have been history. Mental note: next time, I’ll renew my teaching certificate early—just in case.

When I got home, I received a rejection letter from Boulevard magazine. The editor, Richard Burgin, complimented me on “some great descriptive passages.” After locating the story and rereading it, I understood what he had meant. Although peppered with moments of clarity, the story lacked depth in plot. Sort of like my day.

11 comments:

Jo said...

The opening line of your post would make a great first sentence in a novel. It's right up there with "Call me Ishmael."

You could build a whole novel from that. I love it...!

Anonymous said...

Keep plugging away like them Tigers!

jeannie said...

Jim, I'm glad you're back. I know you'd rather be at a fishing hole than work.

jeannie said...

Jim, I'm glad you're back. I know you'd rather be at a fishing hole than work.

r's musings said...

"Listen carefully to first criticisms made of your work. Note just what it is about your work that the critics don't like and cultivate it. That's the only part of your work that's individual and worth keeping." --Jean Cocteau

thethinker said...

Your Richard Burgin sounds exactly like my English teacher. In her words, "your descriptions are very detailed but you need to dig deeper".

By the way, you've been tagged!

Anonymous said...

JR. You have the talent just keep at it. You know what I got to do tomorow so I'll see you when I see
you. MW

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,
Excellent note from Boulevard -- that place is really, really great. I'd send more very soon. But what are you doing at work? I'd rest all I could and refuse to drink a damn bit of water. A quiet revolt as it were . . .

Erik Donald France said...

Congrats on the Blvd. response, Jim. Nifty-fifty! Mercifully, the weekend approaches as far as work goes.

GrizzBabe said...

I imagine that it is a compliment that he added handwritten comments to the form letter. Some people may not take the time to do even that. I would find that encouraging.

Anonymous said...

He's back, back in the saddle againnnnnnnnn!!!