Saturday, October 7, 2006

2nd GRADE DISCO PHOTO


In a majority of my elementary school pictures I wore the same outfit as my brother. Matching plaid shirt, sweater, and tie. This often led to people asking if we were twins. Symbolically, yes. Realistically, no. We were eleven months apart. Our parents were always trying to be fair to us, making sure there wasn't any favoritism, to the extent that sometimes identities suffered. It could've been worse. I could've been dressed in my older brother's hand-me downs.

For some reason, in this second grade photo, I had my very own brown suit. I can recall with absolutely 100% certainty that my brother did not have the same threads. Another major difference between us was our hair. Mine was silky straight, whereas his was curly.

One thing is for sure, the bags under my eyes cannot be attributed to old age. I've always had that I'm tired, I need a cup of coffee look. Oh, and that smile (if you can call it that, more like a grin), is the same as my dad's.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least your parents matched you with someone the same gender as you. Unfortunately, the 14 months that seperated me and my brother meant that we, too, had matching outfits. This doesn't work out so well across genders.

Great picture.

ivan said...

Funny, after a certain age, we think back.
Sorry to hear you've been ailing.

jbwritergirl said...

I know what you're saying about the clothes. We grew up with hand me downs from all the neighbors. This made us very cautious about complimenting anyone who was older (about their clothes even if they were ugly and we were just being kind) because they would somehow remember this and guess what we'd find in the bag?

JB

Jo said...

You don't look tired at all. Those are "Robert Mitchum eyes". He made a lot of money off those eyes.

I hope you're starting to feel better.

Cheers,

Josie

Susan Miller said...

Great pic, man. Good blog.

ZZZZZZZ said...

Oh my God I can so tell that that is you! Cute picture! My brothers are 16 months apart. They always dresses similar for school pictures. I came around 6 years after that. We are still very close though. They've always protected me.

Michelle said...

Hi JR, thanks for stopping by my blog :o)

I grew up in the same era, i think we all looked like clones back then!

Anonymous said...

Hey I was right. Forgot to intitial.MW

jana said...

I remember when I was a kid. I was cute. Unfortunately... now, I've mutated so far from my normal human being state that most scientist don't know whether to run for their lives or analyze for further study.

It's fun being a freak *grins*

Anonymous said...

I saw your workplace meme answers on R's blog. Interesting as I knew it would be. Regarding the quirky coworker who plucks her eyebrows. This the "worst" one I could think of. Basically, I work in a pretty good environment, so I didn't have anything seriously interesting to put in my meme...and I won't trade my coworker for yours...sorry you're stuck.

BTW...what a cute little smile you had back then!

Anonymous said...

You were a cute kid JR. Glad to see you are doing well..

And that smile is a winner!

Anonymous said...

Jim, I remember the picture. You looked so handsome back then even with your brown suit and tie. :) --Bro, Ron

Michelle's Spell said...

Love the picture, Jim. You look just like yourself as a child. So cool.

Cheri said...

Adorable photo, and besides, straight hair is better. (wink)

Anonymous said...

Someone needs to cut hair a little straighter. :o)

misha said...

ok, i have been reading for like an hour and damn, you are so cute!!! Seriously sexy, and its not the gin typing.....