Tuesday, October 24, 2006

HANGING LIGHTS, DREAMING FICTION



I have never thought of myself as a good writer. Anyone who wants reassurance of that should read one of my first drafts.
--James A. Michener


The first draft of anything is shit.
--Ernest Hemingway


I'm stuck in rewrite mode, untangling my thoughts, my ideas, my words, trying to string them together like the Halloween lights attached to plastic hooks on the gutters of my house. I've scooped up the clumps of damp wet leaves and thrown them to the ground, an added measure in preparation of the fast approaching winter months. Soon all those colorful leaves will have fallen, making for perfect mulch, a natural fertilizer, an insulator for growth to come.

I'm studying characters, new and old alike, introducing them to various situations, waiting for their reactions, waiting for them to pound on my door and offer up a trick or two. Sometimes what they do and say is too predictable, other times they're out of control, shocking me, making me beg for more. "Ok," I'll say, "What if I change your behavior with a swift stroke of the pen, will that make you more believable, will that make you not return to your old ways?"
And if the answer is "yes," it's okay not to believe them, as long as I keep an eye on their mannerism and know that certain situations may arise, bringing out the truth.

I've been blogging now for six months. Some days have been more productive than others. It's a learning process, a matter of continuing to move forward. Writing doesn't always mean publishing. I've learned that. I've also learned to be patient, something I've observed in the inmates who are doing more time than they actually have.

The only thing worse than a bad story, is a bad story published.
--JR Thumbprints

15 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim, speaking, of, I edited my own post since you commented. That's a good thing about online posts, tweakability. Cheers on six months, revisions, and good luck with the medical stuff.

Michelle's Spell said...

Congrats on six months! I'm with you on the difficulties of revision. I've revised stories sometimes upwards of fifty times.

Blog man said...

Hanging lights, you shined some truth. Shine on, my man.

Laura said...

Just keep on hanging on. And good luck with your revisions.

Laura said...

Just keep on hanging on. And good luck with your revisions.

Laura said...

Just keep on hanging on. Also, good luck with your revisions.

Jim's blog fan said...

I don't know if you take requests, Jim, but I see that "Blue Velvet" is first on your list of favorite movies. It is such a bizarre, grotesque and yet brilliant film. David Lynch, wasn't it? Didn't "Blue Velvet" in some way give rise to the equally brilliant TV series, "Twin Peaks"? Could you write about "Blue Velvet" for your blog fans, Jim?
Respectfully yours,
Your blog fan

ZZZZZZZ said...

Whenever someone talks about hanging up lights I always think of Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation with all those lights on his house! Revising stuff is hard. I know I revise my stuff over... and over... and over... but I don't want to send out something that isn't the very best I can do at the time. Congrats on six months.

Anonymous said...

Great post. Hope all is well. On JAM it's amazing with the volume of work he produced he had time for rewrites. He only used two fingers on an old Royal typewriter. He turned many of his drafts over to the library of congress. Congrats on six months.
MW

Anonymous said...

Jim, Great post and comment. Congrats on blogging for 6 months. Hopefully you can reflect back and look at where you started, where you are today, and where do you want to go down the road. I'm getting at a critical path in my job and haven't really figured where I want to go.... It depends on the future. Keep up the faith! --Bro, Ron
p.s. I haven't seen the movie Blue Velvet, but it would be interesting your thoughts as well... Thx

Anonymous said...

Jim, Oh, in regards to putting up strings of halloween lites, I've never done this before. Only for x-mas and I still have ONE string high up in the front pine tree which I couldn't get down from last year. I'll resort to help carving the pumpkins and putting up other halloween decorations. First I have to buy the pumpkins! :) --Bro, Ron

r's musings said...

Revision is rough! I lose hope, get stuck quite a bit. Persistence pays, though. So, what have you learned through six months of blogging? Is it what you expected? Has your purpose changed any since the beginning? How about a "Six Blogging Months" post, Jim... :)

Anonymous said...

Deck the halls, walls, balls, stalls.......

Casper said...

Wrong season Mr. A. Don't make me sucker punch you 'cause you won't see it coming.

Anonymous said...

Ok friendly ghost Mr. Casper, how's they be hanging?