Tuesday, October 17, 2006

SURGERY














Last night while sleeping, a dog spoke to me in Morse-code, his nails clattering along the kitchen’s wood-laminate flooring, his dull sounding message accompanied by a laboring motor churning water. I descended the steps, saw the sub-pump’s trigger arm stuck, and reached for the electrical plug before examining the motor further. It was hot to the touch. I hadn’t a clue as to how long it had been running, but I knew without a doubt that any longer and the motor would have burnt up. I made a quick repair, or at least I thought so, and slowly drifted back into the dreamworld.

Today is my much awaited surgery. After a day of liquid dieting and its aftermath, I’m anxious to get the 4-millimeter stone blasted into sand. Yesterday’s X-rays and ultrasound indicated that the stone is in the lower abdomen area. The doctor informed me that he will be sending shockwaves over my abdomen and into the kidney stone—nothing invasive—and that I should have mild bruising and mild internal bleeding. He demonstrated the pulsating beat of the shockwave with a slow rhythmic tap on the counter, next to the horrific poster depicting a cystoscopic exam. He told me there's a 85% chance of success.

Before leaving for the hospital, I checked to see if the red tape I applied to the sub-pump’s trigger arm worked. It had. I believe this is a good omen. I plan on continuing my blog, and more importantly, checking up on my fellow bloggers asap. The stone in my right kidney shall soon be a thing of the past.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope it all goes well and you feel better :-)

r's musings said...

Ditto! Look forward to more of your blogging, too!

Jamie said...

Good luck! It'll all be over soon. No more stone. Back to normal health.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you. May your kidney stones be successfully blasted into dust, and their passing be painless.

We'll be here.

Erik Donald France said...

Good God, Jim, good luck! Good health!

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

Good luck! I'll be sending prayers and good thoughts your way!

Wichita-Lineman said...

Good luck with the surgery and a speedy recovery. Your blog continues to inspire me. Your consistency and fantastic description has made for some wonderful reading.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the surgery.

Anonymous said...

So What Happen? You okay now? How you feelin'? Just wondering. Give me a jingle. If you can. Hope you be up an around soon. MW

GrizzBabe said...

I'll pray for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery!

Jo said...

Well, I'm sure it's all over by now, and you and the sub-pump are no worse for the wear.

Hope you're feeling better very soon.

Cheers,
Josie

Anonymous said...

Jim, Hope you're now feeling descent. I'm sure it's still uncomfortable. You might need some extra plumbing. A new sump pump, that is. --Bro, Ron

JR's Thumbprints said...

Is it sump pump or sub-pump? I've always called it a sub-pump, short for submersible pump. On the other hand, I have a pump on a pedestal, which means it's not submersible at all. Perhaps you're right Bro Ron.

Anonymous said...

Jim, I've always called it a "sump pump" but they're all the same to me. Just work on "both" plumbings and keep them flowing! :) --Bro, Ron

misha said...

at least its not a thing to pass....