Monday, October 2, 2006

I WONDER . . .


Since this isn’t a debate—I call it a slight disagreement—I won’t put my old man out front on the issue. No sense in throwing out a red herring. No sense in bringing up senility. Strike that from the record.

The day before my scheduled Cystoscopy he called to tell me why my problem reoccurred. “You don’t drink enough water,” he said.


I, in turn, explained to him that it’s genetic. “Grandpa had stones. You and mom had stones. Uncle Tom had stones. I have stones.”

“I drink a glass of water every night before I go to bed,” he went on, “and I haven’t had trouble with stones ever since.”

Instead of arguing, I tried a subtler approach. I tried informing him that more water would help in the passing of stones, but not in the body eliminating the production of stones. He continued with his unscientific ramblings. “Your mother doesn’t drink enough water either.”

I wanted to tell him that I probably drink more water than both of them combined. With my exercise routine for the past eighteen months, I constantly filled and refilled my water bottle, I constantly replenished my thirst. But there was no convincing him otherwise. His mind was set.

After my surgery, he made a follow-up phone call. I checked the caller ID and nodded toward my wife. I listened intently from the couch. “Hello... He’s doing fine,” she said. “I had to call the doctor’s office to get another prescription for his muscle and bladder spasms… uh huh… well… uh huh… well … I don’t think water intake is the problem.” They must’ve talked for a good fifteen minutes before my wife relayed his message. “Your father says you need to drink more water.”

No sympathy there. I’m glad that chain of nursing homes Dick DeVos (Michigan Gubernatorial Candidate for Governor) invested money in went belly-up. What was the name of them—“All Terror” Senior Living? I might have been tempted to reserve a bed space. I wonder if my father throws back a glass of water only to wonder whether he just drank a glass water. I wonder why HE KEEPS GIVING ME THE SAME ADVICE OVER AND OVER, AGAIN AND AGAIN. I wonder about my grandfather’s Alzheimer disease, my father’s preventive medication for it, and why I sometimes shampoo my hair, rinse the lather, and reshampoo it. I wonder …

16 comments:

Pices said...

Anybody with that much fish must be right. Drink more water.

Anonymous said...

Makes me wonder too! The products made in China to be sold in China...I'm looking at a report from the US customs office April 14 1997 Amway is asking for a tariff classification for the importation of goods Amway makes in China. Seems we are not the only ones with the forgetting problems...Great pics MW

r's musings said...

I sympathize, Jim! Older parents can be a nightmare... Love the post and photo! Ya know, you really should drink more water...lol!

thethinker said...

Parents tend to do that, the whole advice routine again and again and again.

Great picture, by the way.

Malinda777 said...

Oh my. God rest my Mama's soul, before she died, she would drive me nuts sometimes. Her big deal was (she never grasped the concept of an answering machine, or technology of any kind) she'd call and get our machine. She'd yell into the thing and say, "Malinda...I know you are there, I can hear you. Why aren't you talking to me." And then when I would talk to her she would go on and on about the last time I ignored her on the phone...

Gotta love em... BTW... go drink some more water :)

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

Loved this post. Made me laugh. I get and give the same advice over and over, but not quite to that extent. Hate people who tell me to drink more water. Feel very bitter about it.

Curtis said...

I think you should drink more water.

Erik Donald France said...

More water for everybody! Wicked. My preferred daytime drink is coffee. One hates to be nagged. . . .

The Cedar Chest said...

Too funny! I see your sense of humor is still with you! Thank your dad for being good "material" for a funny post!

Ps, I think your dad and my mom may be related!

Ellie

Anonymous said...

JR .. Glad to see you still got it! My dad's cure for everything is 'you should stay home and rest'. He thinks I lyme and party way too much. hmmm.. he may be right.:)

Chin up and go have a glass of water!

Anonymous said...

Jim, Lets see, I'm in the family and I've never ever had stones. Knock on wood. My alternative to water is beer. Soo I drink lots of beer (i.e. now and then). --Bro, Ron
p.s. I love that pic! We couldn't hall them in fast enough.

Wichita-Lineman said...

What a great pic. Looks like it came from a great day. Funny post. Personal remedies are interesting. On my side, my father is always saying there are cures for most discomforts, but the government is hiding them so they can make money off prescription drugs.

I like your brother's idea.

JR's Thumbprints said...

FYI Bro: You may have passed stones without realizing it.

As for beer, not enough octane. Whiskey & water for me, that is, when I'm good and healthy and my body can withstand the punishment.

As for my dad, he's probably right. I just don't understand why it doesn't work for me.

r's musings said...

Jim,
Did your doctor say anything about cutting down on dairy products? I think too much dairy contributes to a lot of our ills, but like Lee suggests, 'they' don't want us to know; it hurts business...

Jamie said...

I hope I never have stones, but I drink about a gallon every day, so I probably wouldn't know if I did.

Anonymous said...

Holy sh,t! Man, theres some beauties....