Wednesday, October 4, 2006

I'M DYING, I'M DEAD













I just signed a “consent for surgery” form for one Right Extracoroporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy at Royal Oak Beaumont Hospital. Two words caught my attention: No Guarantees. I’m not feeling glum, actually The Thinker put me up to it, but if I were to die tomorrow, I would like these five songs played at my funeral:

1) Natalie Merchant’s “Effigy” from Ophelia – If I die in prison, I’d like this song played in honor of my last gulp of water, I mean, breath. If I die elsewhere, and that’s what I’d prefer, then “When They Ring The Golden Bells” should be my last gulp tune. *My mother requested this second song for her funeral, too.

2) Aimee Mann’s “Deathly” from the Magnolia soundtrack – This would be my “ease the pain for those who suffer” song. Hey, there’s no argument with these lyrics: You’re on your honor/’Cause I’m a goner/And you haven’t begun/So do me a favor/If I should waver/Be my savior/And get out the gun.

3) Kansas’ “Dust In The Wind” from The Point of No Return – For some reason, while Saturday Night Fever swept our nation, I turned to rock with violins. This song should also serve as a reminder of my request for cremation.

4) Billy Bragg & Wilco’s remake of “Airline To Heaven” from Mermaid Avenue Vol. II. I could use this song to create a video montage of my life to be shown in the funeral home. In fact, I’d rather have some form of entertainment instead of the standard eulogy.

5) Cowboy Junkies’ “To Live Is To Fly” from Black Eyed Man – Actually, any of their songs will do. I’m a big fan of their music.

So now I guess it’s my turn to tag someone. Since I’m all about breaking with tradition (prehaps it’s my fear of an Amway pyramid scheme or chain letter) I’m going to tag the next three commentators. If you’re an anonymous, I should hope that you chose someone for me; I’ll do the rest. Lastly, if no one comments (that’d be like having a funeral where no one shows), then I’ll be forced to chose. Here it is: “The idea is to pick five songs that you’d like played at your funeral.”

14 comments:

Dr. A said...

All we are is dust in the wind...

jeannie said...

Jim, hopefully you won't be going anywhere for a long, long time.

5 songs, lets see. "Give a little bit" by Supertramp, just because I love that song; "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zepplin, because the guitar is so awesome - it must be played until the absolute end; "10 years gone" (or 10 years after, I can't remember what the actual name is) by Zepplin also - that's the "don't cry for me song"; A choice by my kids (which would be anything with cookie monster-type singing); and I've gotta have the bag pipes play "Amazing Grace". That's the kicker at the end.

Michelle's Spell said...

Okay Jim,

Here's five --
"We'll Meet Again" Johnny Cash
"Happy Trails" (Janis Joplin version)
"It's A New Day" Nina Simone
"If This World Were Mine" Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell
"The Only Living Boy In New York" Paul Simon
Those come to mind first, although I'm sure I'd also want something by my boy Dwight. My friend Hank's funeral was almost all music, twelve songs in all. It was the only good part. Good luck on the surgery! As for the criticism about the weight, I tend to get very very foul with that sort of thing. Hang in there!

shadow falcon said...

I was going to say, hope you feeling better but seeing as your dead...

I've been tagged already...and it was bloody hard!

btw love the Natlie Merchant Song.

Anonymous said...

"Death Is Not The End": Dylan or Cave. I always wondered whether this song is highly ironic or not?

"God's Children" by The Kinks ands I'm an atheist, but having Ray Davies sing your last embers into wherever sounds fine by me.

"I Am The Resurrection." The Stone Roses. Teenage years.

"Train to Skaville" The Skatalites. Makes my kid laugh, so alright to keep him happy

A randon Johnny Cash tune.

Thanks. Enjoyable thinking about bit!

r's musings said...

I want dance music from the '70s and '80s... party time!

ZZZZZZZ said...

Ever since I saw Old School with Luke Wilson and Will Ferrel everytime I hear dust in the wind I think of "You're my boy blue.... you're my boy!" and him at the piano.

Anonymous said...

So you got tagged with this morbid meme, too! Haha! Interesting list, Cowboy! :p

Anonymous said...

How you doin JR? Got lectured today. Felt like I was in medical school. Don't remember being accepted. Anways, I now know the difference between rigid and soft
and what would constitute the use of one over the other. Damn.!!!
See you at the ranch cowboy.MW
:-0

Anonymous said...

Ok. How's this one? "Celebrate Good Times, Come On".... "Let's Celebrate".... I'm kidding of course! I want to hear, "Hells Bells" by ACDC man! ..... Ya got me thinking.

Anonymous said...

I guess I had bad timing for that tag. Sorry about that. You're not going anywhere anytime soon though.

And technically, we can all blame Dr. A for this. As I would be apt to say 10 years ago, "He started it!".

JR's Thumbprints said...

Wow! And I was only expecting three comments. Thanks everyone!

Anonymous said...

Jim, Hope you're feeling better! I'll have to think of my tunes for the big day. --Bro, Ron

Erik Donald France said...

Jim, to your good health!

Five memorial songs off the top of my head: Thelonius Monk, "Straight, No Chaser"
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, "Free Falling"
John Lee Hooker, "House Rent Boogie"
AC/DC "Back in Black" or The Rolling Stones "Miss You"
Johnny Cash, "Ring of Fire"
How about James Brown, "The Last Time"?