Tuesday, June 27, 2006

THIS OLD DOG


This old dog hurts internally, choosing to spend his time sleeping on the couch in the damp basement instead of at the foot of the bed. He understands his place in the master bedroom; however, he's been inadvertently kicked one time too many and simply chooses not to make the effort of leaping onto the hard mattress.

The veterinarian says he's in good shape considering his age, says to continue feeding him a steady diet of white rice and egg for his upset stomach and to give him 75 mg of Rimadyl twice a day for his stiff joints. Still, on occasion, his back legs give out from under him, and he throws up, his sad look of apology evident as he tries to disappear from what has happened.

This old dog's loyalty never waivers, or at least it should never be questioned. He eats what is given to him, believing it to be the nourishment he needs. He goes outside when he is told to, even when it's unnecessary. His only one true defiant act may be where he chooses to sleep. I'm afraid that this old dog just might be slipping away.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. The analogy works for
me. Feeling like an "old dog now."
Keep up the good work.MW

robin said...

Great post, but a sad time, Jim, and hard to watch, isn't it? Bet your "old dog" has been the most wonderful companion! Makes me miss my cat, Samson; had to put him down in March. :( -R

Michelle's Spell said...

What a sad post, Jim. I love the picture and the text.

Erik Donald France said...

Heartbreaking, Jim. Brings back all the memories of long lost dogs and cats.

ZZZZZZZ said...

This is such a sad post! Anytime I see animals in pain I want to cry. The picture is cute though.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Shit, I'm not talking about the dog, although he is old and has his health issues. MW, you got it right man. Although Mr. "It Ain't Easy Being Green" thought it had something to do with him in regards to a situation at work where I went off on an inmate. I'm sick and tired of the crap, sick and tired ... Jim

Michelle's Spell said...

I hear you, Jim. I think about Nick Nolte in Affliction -- Sometimes I feel like a whipped dog. One of the best lines in the world (thank you Mr. Russell Banks). Have you ever read his book Success Stories -- one of my favorites.

JR's Thumbprints said...

I'll put it on my list. Thanks Michelle.