Sunday, June 11, 2006

ANOTHER TOURNAMENT ENDS

Due to safety concerns (ex-felons are opportunists), I have been living my life in advance; I wouldn't want someone to break into my house, or worse. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that my last two blogs were prepackaged drafts and my wife had the important duty of posting them while I attended this year's catfish tournament. Please accept my deepest apologies. I keep trying to tell myself that responsible blogging is just as important as honest blogging.

As for catfishing, I never catch a cat heavier than six pounds. This year's winner was on the light side (ten pounds, eleven ounces) due to rough water on Wild Fowl Bay. In fact, Friday most of the fishermen decided to stay in the marina. I did catch some large mouth bass; the largest was 18.75" in length. Also, I got to try out my Uncle John's fishing rods which were given to me over a year ago after he died of throat cancer. Now I have lots of fishing goodies.

Our event coordinator, Billy Joe, mentioned his good buddy and fishing partner Marty (Mark Adkins Sr., 41 yrs. old) who lost his life two months ago on these very same waters. Marty used to share the responsibility of organizing this annual event. Attendance was down from last year too. Some people didn't feel right about the tournament with Marty gone. Billy Joe said Marty would want everyone to keep fishing. I agree.

This year's winner, Bill Podeski, took first place by one ounce. That's a medium sized sinker. Not that I'm implying that Bill would pull a fast one where we'd need to take a lead detector to his cat or open up his cat's stomach. No. Bill won fair and square. As for me, there's always next year (if I make it).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story. We face our immortality daily. Reminds of a scene from one of Michener's books when describing bush piloting in Alaska to a young pilot the older pilot states, "there are bold pilots and there are old pilots, but I ain't ever seen any old bold pilots." Thanks for the thought. On another note: What's happening at the pond? MW

Erik Donald France said...

Jim,

Another thoughtful post. Prepackaging makes a lot of sense and is necessary sometimes, for continuity. I carry my laptop around and do some on the fly, as needed. I like the serene photo,
nice work.

ZZZZZZZ said...

fishing tournament eh? my boyfriend LOVES fishing... i'm not that into it although i love to go with him because while he fishes i can lay on the beach with a good book.

Bro Ron said...

Nice pic. Where's the big one???