Saturday, June 10, 2006

JOE, IN BLACK & WHITE

I used to be an artist, not formerly known as Prince, but the kind that does sketches and paints, until my father put a stop to such nonsense. My family moved the year I started 9th grade, the last year I had an art class. This didn't traumatize me too much, except for the first week when the counselor placed me in Woodshop. I met the so-called "burn-outs" in there, and I was terrified of using the table saw, among other power tools. I believe our first project was to make some bookshelves. Not me, no way! I had the counselor switch me to a typing class.

I already knew how to type. I pretended to follow along with the typing teacher's drills and qualified for the school's typing team. Being the only boy on the team and the best typer had its advantages. I met plenty of girls. Unfortunately, this did not increase my popularity like I thought it would, so I focused my energy on my art.

The above picture is titled, "Joe." That was the name of our dog back then. Ten years later he would suffer a stroke and my father would have to put him down. I enjoyed working with scratch-art, where you brush ink over a canvas then scratch away at it to form different textures of light. On the back of the canvas was my letter grade in red ink: -A. Also, at the community art show, I received a second place ribbon in this medium.

3 comments:

ZZZZZZZ said...

wow that picture is really good! i used to draw all the time (nothing spectacular or anything) and last year i started dabbing in acrylic paints. i'm no davinci or anything but it's relaxing to draw and paint. sorry about your dog and that your dad wouldnt let you take art. you draw beautifully.

Anonymous said...

Good story. I can identify with the dynamics of wood shop. You got talent. You can do your own story illustrations. How's the pond coming along?
MW

Anonymous said...

that damn pond should be done by now!!!