Monday, June 12, 2006

REAL MEN OF GENIUS

Yesterday my gut hurt so bad like someone poked a knife under my rib cage, and as they say in prison, ran the gears on me. Serves me right messing with Squirrel Piss, the name my fellow fishermen used for the plastic container of moonshine they passed around. I complained about the taste and was politely told that you drink it for the effect. Hurt me all the way through Monday.

After work I had to attend a Utica School Board Meeting to acknowledge the Elementary Schools that did well in Science Olympiad. I didn’t want to go on account of the Squirrel Piss but I did. The superintendent (the building is named after her; they couldn’t wait posthumously or at least until she retires) mentioned that Utica Schools captured 6 of the top 7 spots in the overall competition of 80 schools. Whoopee! I’m sick and tired of educators with their elitist attitudes. Just recognize the kids for their achievements, none of this "we’re better than everyone else." No wonder I have to deal with the failures of the public schools. What they need is a few more trailer parks, some public housing, and a few crack houses sprinkled into their school district. Embrace those parents and their kids and teach them why don’tcha!

It’s funny that I’d criticize the very same educators that I envisioned myself being. I never wanted to be like my high school U.S. Presidency teacher, Mr. Sullivan (the short man pictured above). He never varied from the direct teaching approach. Lectern up front, desks and chairs in neat rows with masking tape running down the floor to make sure order was maintained. He’d start his class by taking attendance the good old fashion way: calling your name from a roster he never looked up from. (We had a seating chart for crying out loud; it couldn’t have been that hard for him to see who was missing if he’d only look up!) After his slow process of attendance, he’d say the same thing, "All right, get out your notes." Next, he’d start writing facts on the board. Grover Cleveland served two nonconsecutive terms. Abraham Lincoln wanted to preserve the Union at all cost. Harry Truman … and on and on and on.

His direct teaching approach led to all kinds of horseplay. No one cared about the executive branch of government, or the legislative branch, or the judicial branch (unless it had a direct impact on one of the many burn-outs caught with pot). I’ll confess: I lost interest more than once myself. Mr. Sullivan had the same response when students started talking. He’d say, "All right"—I believe everything he said started out this way—"All right, I’m not standing here trying to grow." Usually this would elicit verbal bantering between him and a burn-out from the back of the classroom. His ultimate response: "All right, there’s three things I don’t like," and with his index fingers touching he’d begin his counting, "number one—warm beer, number two—wet toilet paper, and number three (he’d pause to make sure everyone heard his main point of emphasis)—a smart ass."

Mr. Sullivan may not have been the best teacher, however, he certainly was a memorable character. He died a few years after I graduated from high school; they found his expired body in his apartment above the local watering hole in town when he failed to show up for work. At least that’s how I heard it. Not like my high school gym teacher who left a note in his pickup truck before jumping off the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron. I read about that one in the Detroit News.

As for Squirrel Piss, or moonshine—stay away from it, it can cause all kinds of problems. As for education, teachers are human too and they cope the best way they know how. As for men in general, those beer commercials about "real men of genius" speak volumes. As for women in general, how about some "real women of genius" commercials? It’s an imperfect world full of imperfect people and I’m one of them and so are you. Care to comment?

President tossing here: http://www.planetdan.net/pics/misc/georgie.htm. If he gets stuck drag him out with your mouse.

7 comments:

Michelle's Spell said...

Love this post, Jim. Your teacher reminds me of Mr. Perdue, a real character at Mineral Wells High. As for the failure of the school system, I'm with you and it depresses me how little I was engaged by any of it by the time I was a sophomore. As for moonshine, yes, stay away! We also had something in the south called Slake, which was one step away from drinking antifreeze and should also be avoided for the taste and the subsequent morning after gutache.

Cheri said...

Every system of heirarchy in this country if not world has their share of black sheep. Mine would be my 8th grade Social Studies teacher, who after my graduation, was found out to have had sex with the girl down the street from me. He's now serving 15 years in prison. Goodjob buddy.

ZZZZZZZ said...

wow, thats all I can say.... just wow.

Wichita-Lineman said...

Another good post. If Wine is the blood of Christ, then good old White Lightning is the blood of the Devil. I've always made sure to tip toe around that stuff. The President tossing is priceless.

Send me a quick email if you want to exchange a few short stories.

tikilee75@yahoo.com

I liked your story and have some positive feedback

Erik Donald France said...

Jim, another great post! I love the photo, too: very telling. I liked most of my history and English teachers, but had on, Mighty Stu Wallace, the football coach with a BAD TO THE BONE temper, who made Government class a nightmare. He threw chalk at people's faces and shoved them over if they nodded off. Of course, he was worse when coaching. ~~ Erik

Anonymous said...

Still ornery. Moonshine has a way of doin' that. Next time cross the border and get some everclear. As far as elitism goes, I could go on forever. However, you picked two great examples in your story and I am enjoying (too much) dropping that "Real Maan of Genius" between the bubbles.
Great post.MW

Bro Ron said...

Jim, When I first saw Mr. Sullivan's pictured the first thing I remembered was exactly what you said - There are 3 things I don't like, Warm Beer, Wet Toilet Paper and a Smart Ass.... Good. I'm trying to remember who the gym teacher was......???? Bro, --Ron