Wednesday, June 21, 2006

GOBSTOPPERS & THE MUFFIN MONSTER

Whenever we invite our neighbors over to swim in our pool and cook on the grill, their 5th grade son, Davey, who has a healthy appetite, will immediately ask, "Do you have any Gobstoppers?" I’m not exactly sure which came first in the evolution of Gobstoppers at our house: Davey’s requesting them, or my wife’s purchasing and stocking them in our kitchen.

What I do know is that once in awhile, after Davey’s been over, I’ll have to take a plunger to our toilet. I know it’s not from digesting Gobstoppers that flushing is no longer an option, nor is it from the hamburgers. The huge wads of toilet paper gumming up the hole tell me otherwise. My daddy always said, "Son—its three squares and tear."

Of course, for all practical purposes, it depends on the ply of the paper. The toilet paper where I work is a much lighter ply, thus more squares before the tear. However, clogging up the pipes is much different. Unlike Davey, who doesn’t know any better, the inmates will flush entire bedsheets and clothing down the toilet in an effort to clog up the sewer lines. It’s the oldest inmate trick in the book. I can sympathize with the maintenance crew; They hate dealing with the stinky, hazardous mess. But not anymore. JWC Environmental (http://www.jwce.com/) has the solution: The 300004T Muffin Monster in-line sewage grinder. Whatever is flushed, the company claims, the Muffin Monster will grind into tiny little pieces.

I wonder if they have a much smaller, home version?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Story. Make sure you get JWC Environmental's or is it "I
Believe In Monsters (or is it muffins) T-Shirt. MW

Erik Donald France said...

Jim, too funny, especially the prisoners "protest."

~~Erik

Bro Ron said...

Hey, Dad always said, "three squares and tear". Yep, I remember. Bro -- Ron

Wichita-Lineman said...

Ha Ha!!! That logo of the gremlin looking think is great. The on site demo looks interesting.
The unit itself reminds me of a wood chipper. Same concept really.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Bro Ron,
Some family matters are ingrained into us; like which way to hang the paper: over or under? I believe growing up it was under, wasn't it? Now that I'm married, it's over (the paper, of course).
Bro Jim

robin said...

Great story. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine asks the woman in the next stall if she can "spare a square." Went to lunch at Panera's w/my husband not too long ago and while in the restroom, the woman in the next stall asked me for some tp. I said, "Sure, I can spare a square." No reply... Oh well, my husband & I had a good laugh over it! -Robin

JR's Thumbprints said...

I remember the episode now that you mention it, Robin. It seems my bad day has blown over and I'm back on track. Thankfully, I didn't post something damaging. Although posts can be deleted.
--Jim

robin said...

That's a good thing to know, Jim, for when I get brave enough to step out of the comment box. Right now I'm still the "Cowardly Lion." Michelle sees me as Glenda, a far better role, I do believe, but the Wicked Witch does have a certain appeal to it. Who knows where I'll end up--maybe I'll play them all, before I wake up! (Gemini tendencies) And yes, I'd say you're back on track, but those bad days can be just as creative! --Robin

ZZZZZZZ said...

That picture is awesome. My boyfriends little brother has this friend who always clogs the toilet everytime he's over the house! What is it with kids and toilet paper? hehe great post today jim. I think the Monster Muffin sounds awesome.... and Gobstoppers RULE!!

Michelle's Spell said...

Love this one -- I hate the whole nightmare of the clogged toilet! Love the gobstoppers detail -- great word.