Tuesday, June 20, 2006

BAGGAGE

I always tell my students that the best time to study is first thing in the morning when you don’t have that excess baggage of the day weighing you down. Sometimes I wish I could follow my own advice because when the evening approaches, the clouds start to roll inside my head and cause all sorts of havoc with my ability to write. Yet, I still manage to surprise myself with a few profound statements once in a blue moon.

Tonight I’m not feeling it, the letters moving forward on my terminal forming a slow train of words, forming whole sentences, then paragraphs, only to see the letters evaporating, dismantling the tracks of where they once were, leaving white space and a vertical blinking line.

I try to escape my worries. I try to concentrate. I try to type. Letters. Words. Sentences. Paragraphs. Then I start to think that the reason I’m not more productive at writing is because of what someone said to me earlier in the day. Baggage. More Baggage.

I tell myself: It’s just words. Spoken words. Once they’re said, they’re gone. Evaporated. Except for what they generate in our minds. Except for what they make us do. Except for what I might write. That’s what I’m afraid of. What I might write. That’s why I’m holding back. Written words have more permanence, even when you travel alone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Profound.
MW

Erik Donald France said...

Jim,

Excellent post -- especially since I have to teach "The Things They Carried" on Monday. Written words, much baggage. Here's to keeping at it!

robin said...

I've really enjoyed reading your posts. In this one, you wrote what I've been feeling lately in the last paragraph. You might even have the beginning of a short story there.

Commenting on Michelle's blog has inspired me to let go of some of that fear and just have a bit of fun with it. Of course, I'm not as brave as you, yet, to have my own blog, but who knows, maybe I will. Thanks for the inspiration. -Robin

JR's Thumbprints said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this posting, Robin. I guess we all have our bad days, but keep checking different blogs, it'll help you get ideas before striking out on your own. --Jim

ZZZZZZZ said...

Erik,

I read "The Things They Carried" in Michelles class. great story.

Jim,

Love the picture. I never do anything first thing in the morning. I tried many times and gave up. I usually do stuff mid day or at night when my brain is actually awake.... yeah i'm backwards like that. great post!