Wednesday, February 21, 2007

PREEXISTING CONDITIONS
















I’m not easily offended. So when our former prison librarian stood outside my classroom ready to apologize for something she had said, I told her, “Hey, you’re entitled to your opinion. You needn’t apologize.” Whatever it was wasn’t important—if it were, I would have remembered. Then, as a peace offering that wasn’t necessary, she told me she wanted to give me her dead ex-husband’s neckties. I could see the tears welling-up; I could see she was ready to lose it, right there, right then, in the hallway, in full view of the inmates inside my classroom. After an awkward moment of nonverbal reassurance, I said, “I love ties. Just drop them off at the front desk tomorrow and I’ll pick them up.”

Afterward, some of the inmates commented about how the librarian, fifteen years my senior, had the hots for me. I dismissed such nonsense. Coming from them, a woman who talks to you is looking for one thing and one thing only. Their delusional fantasies get the better of them, get them into trouble. I told them not to speak disrespectfully about my coworker. To shut up.

From what I could gather, but I’m not exactly sure of the arrangement, or the specifics, the librarian had remarried her ex-husband so he could get healthcare benefits. Whether they were able to conceal his preexisting condition, I’ll never know. What I do know is this: She had referred to him as “the ex-husband,” even after his death. I often wondered why she took him back, why she was willing to go through all that suffering with him.

I did wear those damn neckties. Not that I had wanted to. Why would I give a prisoner an easy opportunity to strangle me? Perhaps I wore those neckties for moral support because, from my observations, the librarian seemed very lonely, very sad, and somewhat isolated from her coworkers. But I didn’t wear those neckties for long. The librarian had been placed under investigation for allegedly performing oral sex on her library clerk, an inmate doing a life sentence. I didn’t want to believe it. F**king convicts stirring up trouble, that's what I thought. I guess I was in denial. After all, inmates will prey on your loneliness, they’ll suck you into their games, they’ll try to make you feel special. She had messed up royally and now other inmates wanted a piece of the action. A denied piece of ass meant snitch kites to the inspector, which in turn created a dangerous situation for everyone involved, thus the investigation.

In the end, the librarian either quit her job or was fired. Last I heard, she married the library clerk and to this very day visits him regularly. My question is: How much suffering and loneliness can a person endure?

16 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

Man, those crazy librarians! In all truth, a sad story. But those ties -- what were they thinking?

This piece could also be called "Notes on a Library Scandal." Must be weird to be married to a prisoner to boot.

thethinker said...

Interesting story.

I guess lonely people will do anything to get the attention they crave so desperately, even innocent looking librarians.

Kate S said...

How sad. Though it does sound like a case of mental illness or tremendous lack of self esteem rather than just loneliness.

I've had friends who fall into two types of single, lonely people--those who are willing to be with anyone just to keep from being alone, and those who would rather be alone than settle for anything other than a healthy relationship.

After a while, I tend to start moving away from the first group - it's just too depressing, and you can only say "you deserve better" so many ways & times.

I'm starting to believe I'm an anomaly. I'm single, celibate and not lonely - and have been so for many years. Yet I see my life as nothing but potential, and it makes me sad when others can't see their own lives that way.

Donnetta Lee said...

JR: Some don't endure it. they thrive on it. Donnetta

Torrey Meeks said...

Damn. I've always wanted a piece of a hot librarian. Maybe I'll have to get myself locked up.

Jo said...

Okay, tell us you didn't actually wear those ties, especially the Winnie the Pooh one... :-)

Poor lady, was she going through some sort of depression after her husband died? People do weird things. You certainly know some interesting people.
Josie

JR's Thumbprints said...

Josie,
I not only wore the cartoon ties, but I've also been known to wear a Tweety Bird ballcap to work. Hey, what can I say, I'm comfortable in my environment.

Donsie said...

I have seen people that love only one person in their life. So if that person leaves, death or divorce, they just never go back to another parthner.

The sad thing is that they fall into this "personal habitat" of their own where nobody else is welcome...

Yes some people cant be alone but there are people that will walk the path of live alone and be happy.. I think.

Sam said...

That is a sad story.
I hope she finds some measure of solace in her new marriage.
It was nice of you to wear her ties, at any rate.
:-)

etain_lavena said...

Ghee that is hectic. I guess a person gets so use to emotional pain that they think to suffer is part of what they need. In a way I feel sad for her!

Anonymous said...

I think the prisoner's family turned her in. They didn't want him to be associated with such a questionable person. The pot calling the kettle black or since this was Ash Wednesday...It is easier for me to see the sliver in your eye as opposed to the log that is in mine. You wouldn't happen to have a Three Stooges Tie? Brings back some memories. Nice post. MW :)

Plain Jane said...

HOly hell...your stories always amaze me- mostly because some of the 'odd' people you see on tv you think oh well it's tv- but here you are with the friday night movie! good Lord.

Why do they come bacck and/or stay? Low self esteem- they attach to the first thing that shows interest because they think the can't do any better.

Charles Gramlich said...

People are endlessly fascinating. Though I often prefer them at a distance. Some characters I'd have a hard time getting into the head of. This lady would be one.

Michelle's Spell said...

Jim,

What a story! It's crazy -- I think people in general are so lonely that they'll pretty much do anything.

Anonymous said...

Jim, I think thisis a crazy story myself. Unbelieveable what people do to get some action and probably to be seen. Hopefully the librarian is happy with her marriage. --Bro, Ron

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I used to manage a domestic violence shelter. I realized that many women equate love with turmoil. They are excitement junkies, and are unable to distinguish between healthy excitement and the agony of abusive, cheating partners. Or don't care to.

They cannot even consider loving a normal man who treats them well because there is no excitement in knowing that he is dependable and won't ever purposely hurt them.

Sadly, as long as there are violent men, there will always be women who love them.