Tuesday, February 27, 2007

YOUR MOTHER'S WHERE YOU'LL FIND HER

One night I dreamt about my mother, father, and I loading the freezer. My mother passed to my father, my father to me, and I lay them in their designated places like every fall when our butchered cows arrived packaged in servings of three. But the faded pink writing on the packages that usually said hamburger, T-bone, roast, said right arm, left leg, ribcage.
—“Killers” by Kami Westhoff

I’m amazed at how long someone can turn up missing and not be found. In past postings I mentioned a former inmate that I had regular contact with. They called him Freezer Man. He was a Detroit Public School Administrator who killed his wife and stored her body in the basement freezer for three grueling years. I’ve often wondered why his teenage daughters hadn’t cooperated with the authorities. Why didn’t they say something about the padlock on the freezer? The situation could have been resolved immediately. They could’ve called off whatever searches were planned. But we’re talking about their father, we’re talking about emotional involvement here, a certain closeness to the man who helped raise them. Did they ever discuss amongst themselves what would happen if their father were taken away? Did they ever argue about it?

It’s fairly obvious that the daughters were in some type of denial. But when did things change? Had they actually thought their mother had abandoned them? And without a trace or shred of evidence to suggest she started her life over? There were no credit card charges. No cell phone usage. No sightings. Nothing. Vanished into thin air. Or did their father say something to indicate his guilt? Did he make his one daughter feel responsible? After all, it was her boyfriend that started the chain of events that could never be undone. The Freezer Man had learned about his wife’s sexual escapades with the daughter’s boyfriend and that’s what set him off. They argued in the basement, he grabbed her, and for once in his life he became extremely angry and acted out on his hurt and his pain. He started bashing her head against a basement pole, not once, not twice, but repeatedly, until there was no more life left in her.

The Freezer Man did less than ten years for his horrible deed. The courts said it was “a crime of passion.” One daughter supported the judge’s decision to re-sentence him, to give him “time served” and a chance to rebuild his life; The other daughter didn’t want anything more to do with him.

I mention this case as our local sheriff’s department searches for Tara Lynn Grant, a thirty-four year old mother who disappeared more than two weeks ago. Her husband reported her missing, but he isn’t cooperating with the authorities on advice from his lawyer. How long will it take until they find her? How long?

Connie chewed her lip and worked up her nerve to ask where was Momma? And their father said, hitching up his suspenders, on his way outside, “Your mother’s where you’ll find her.”
—“Faithless” by Joyce Carole Oates

21 comments:

Michelle's Spell said...

Jim,

Great post and great JCO book! I can't believe the rat! I'm afraid of rats like you wouldn't believe.

Christina said...

You know what I can't imagine? Being the daughter of that killer. That would give me nightmares every night.

Anonymous said...

Great post JR. Enjoyed the story. I read that story by JCO and it was pretty good. The Tara Grant missing person... Too many questions left unanswered for me.
Innocent until found in your freezer I always say. If you don't believe me, just ask Mr. Tyburski. Is the rat picking out tomorrows lunch? Have a goodnight.MW :-}

Plain Jane said...

Good grief- you know why I would be a horrible person in power? because that alone would make me say- hell with him lock him up he did it- without a doubt and who knows what his reasoning is.

patterns of ink said...

I know why there's a rat on your shoulder. I take it that this is a different rat than the one you told me about. =)
You know, JRT, you could write a collection of "fictional" short stories based on plots like this one today. Very intriguing.

Staci said...

I'm a huge true crime fan..i wish I wasn't but I am. Not the badly written paperback kind.

Read "Lustmord the Writings Artifacts of Serial Killer's"

Just don't blame me when you do...

m said...

Do you think the school administrator would have gotten more time if it had been a woman and the victim the husband?

Or if it had been a boyfriend killing his girlfriend?

Or if he had been a bus driver and not an administrator who was the murderer?

****
Anyway, I don't understand how "crimes of passion" between spouses can be considered more forgivable. Even if he was justified in his anger his actions should have garnered him more time in jail.

Donnetta Lee said...

OOOOO. Good, JR. Gives me cold chills just thinking about this. You set this forth quite well. Good job! Donnetta

Jo said...

Drat, for some reason I can't open the picture. You're pictures are always great.

I just can't imagine the horror of living in the same house where your mother is "stored" in the freezer. That's something the daughter will never get over, knowing that she had been there all the time.

Josie

islandgrovepress said...

Well, I'm glad it was your Kami Westhoff and not you who supplied your opening excerpt.
Viz., One night I dreamt about my mother, father, and I loading the freezer.
Butcher not only the beef, but the language.

Fascinating story, though.

Ivan

Donsie said...

What I can't believe is that people can keep a secret for so long!!!
I can't keep secrets and one as big as that will kill me!!!
Good post JR!!

etain_lavena said...

It is very sad when ppl get missing, but when you know where they are/even suspect and say nothing. You are just as horrid as the person who committed the crime.
Life is so horrid:(

etain_lavena said...

I only inspected the PIC now there is a RAT on your shoulder.....aaaaaaggggggggg

ghee said...

whew...life..
i hope the missing wife is still safe.

Desirea Madison said...

You'd think they'd look in the freezer. Aren't significant others always suspect in cases of disappearance? I wouldn't keep someone I killed in my freezer.

Charles Gramlich said...

I remember a movie called "Asylum" I think in which a murdered person is cut up and put in the freezer, and later the wrapped parts come to life and pursue the killer. Freezers are just freaky anyway.

Oh, The Joys said...

Great post - and how creepy.

Erik Donald France said...

That rat looks like a friendly Pied Piper. Maybe s/he can lead the Taco Bell rats to freedom?

The killer stuff is creepy. They assume the latest missing is dead, don't they?

Reminds me of The Upside of Anger and, very recently, Volver -- the one in Detroit and the other in Madrid.

thethinker said...

I really don't understand what would compel the daughters to keep that hidden, but I guess people who are emotionally tied to someone will come up with whatever rationalizations they can to avoid doing what they know is right.

EE said...

Love the picture!
Can't imagine the kids having to live with this.
Great blog!

Anonymous said...

Jim, the husband should have been locked up for LIFE! In regards to the freezer, I'd move the body parts out to make room for the venison. Our old freezer that I gave away had a lock and key which was to keep the children out so they wouldn't get stuck in the freezer from potentially playing around. Maybe there were grandchildren around which gramps told them to stay away from the freezer. ????? Nice photo of the rat! Just don't lock him/her in the freezer and mix the meat up with the hamburger. :) --Bro, Ron