Sunday, February 18, 2007

FIXING THE THRESHOLDS














Tired of complaints about cold air seeping under our doors, I ripped out the thresholds and replaced the rubberized centers to block the incoming breeze. I had promised that I’d fix them last fall, but never really got around to it, my latest excuse: “It’s too cold to keep the doors open for any length of time.” So, is it better to tolerate a minimum amount of cold air over a long duration, or is it better to tolerate a maximum amount of cold air for a shorter, determinate amount of time? Let’s just say that I can check this duty off my “honey-do” list.

Speaking of promises, my wife coaxed me into going out for dinner last Sunday, but, before I would agree, she had to set-up the VCR to tape “60 Minutes.” They were running a segment on the unnecessary death of Timothy Souders, a prisoner in the Michigan Department of Corrections. I, along with my coworkers, was curious to see the media’s portrayal of our prison system. At the restaurant, I ran into a nurse that works at my facility. We exchanged pleasantries, excluding introductions to significant others and so on. Neither of us mentioned what we were missing on television.

Later that night, my brother called. He said the MDOC Director, Pat Caruso, did not represent us well, that she had smiled when confronted about unnecessary deaths inside our prisons. The “60 Minutes” producers ran the following caption, which had been printed in the newspapers as well: “… unauthorized death penalty at the hands of a callous and dysfunctional health care system that regularly fails to treat life-threatening illness.”

The Delay: When I went to watch the tape, I got an episode of “Lost.” My wife quickly apologized by saying she may have forgotten to switch tapes. Later on, I learned that she had set my tape aside. Yesterday, I watched it.

Facts: Timothy Souders died of dehydration. The water to his cell was turned off due to him flooding the area. He refused water from the corrections officers. He wore “Top of Bed” restraints for sixteen or seventeen hours straight due to his unpredictable behavior. Custody videotaped him at regular intervals in his cell.

Facts: At the time of Timothy Souders death, he was not wearing restraints. He simply collapsed onto the floor, in an extremely hot cell, never to breathe again. A prison nurse failed to recognize the inmate’s condition as critical and was subsequently fired.

Observation: The MDOC Director, Pat Caruso, defended our custody staff, and her so-called “smile” was more of an invitation to keep the lines of communication open between her and the interviewer.

Questions: Why did the family of Timothy Souders learn the true cause of his death from the Detroit Free Press? Why did the MDOC stall for so long in reporting the cause of his death?

9 comments:

Michelle's Spell said...

Horrible and fascinating story, Jim! I missed the 60 Minutes thing, but I'm glad to have learned the important stuff from your blog!

Anonymous said...

Jim, I remember watching the tragic story on 60 Minutes! Those couple of questions that you pose should be answered if they have not already. Looks like Timothy S. didn't want to drink anything and became disillusioned.... I just don't unerstand how the whole thing was video taped over time and things kept getting worse. Understand WE don't know the entire history here. WE all continue with our lives which is important to ME. --Bro, Ron

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's about time you stopped the cold breeze coming into your house. NOW come on over and finish my honey-do list!!! :) --Bro, Ron

Jo said...

JR, I saw that segment on 60 Minutes. It looked really horrible. Is there any way you can contact CBS and do a rebuttal? Or would that get you into deep doo doo? The media can really put a spin on things.

Josie

Charles Gramlich said...

The facts are generally not as dramatic as the story the media can make up.

Erik Donald France said...

Sad sad story any way you cut it. The guy was obviously not very rational to begin with. It's not like he was being tortured a la Gitmo.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your comments on it. I didn't get to see it either, but was wondering about the "smiling comments". I don't agree with the nurse having to take the fall for it. Since the MDOC uses a managed Physician Service which has a number of lawsuits pending in the other states they manage prisoner healthcare was that even mentioned? Thanks for the enlightenment. MW.

Irene said...

JR, at least your life is never boring! ;p

Donsie said...

We dont have 60 min. but nice to get the news in this way. Shame...
A "Honey do" list. I like that!!! Must get me one :-)