Saturday, February 10, 2007

THROWING OUT THE NUMBERS















By this time next year, he planned to have the city of Detroit wrapped up. It wasn’t a bad dream for a young man of twenty-two. He had come to prison at the tender age of eighteen; now, four years later, he was educated with a schooling that a man could get nowhere else but in prison.
—Donald Goines, Black Gangster

I’m not going to pull some arbitrary number out of my arse like Michigan politician Jack Brandenburg and tell you how effective or ineffective I am as a convict teacher. I’ll be first to admit that our success rate for decreasing recidivism is very low. In the employee lunchroom, the often repeated joke is that we succeed 6% of the time—a number that Brandenburg claimed in an editorial to the Detroit Free Press. For some strange reason this number has been erroneously attached to our GED success rate. Good Ol’ Boy Jack would rather invest our hard earned taxpayer money in showing these men how to write resumes. Instead of fabricating facts in editorials, he should check the help wanted section. I believe the minimum requirement for a job nowadays is a high school diploma or GED.

Enough about him. I’ve been repeatedly asked about those few students that have made something of themselves. I still say the biggest success story I’ve witnessed is by an inmate nicknamed “Speed Boat.” He’s still locked-up, but that’s beside the point. There’s another inmate that comes to mind. “Bunnie.” When we first met, he told me not to laugh, that that was the name his mother had given him. Stranger than fiction. Stranger than the name “Whoreson” in a Donald Goines novel, or “Milkman” in a Toni Morrison novel.

Bunnie was the only ex-felon that I called after his release. With the permission of my boss—she provided me with the number—I delivered the good news. It was 2 o’clock in the afternoon, and when his mother told me he was sleeping, I told her to wake him up. Somewhat groggy, he was surprised that I had actually called. “You working midnights or something?”

“Nope,” he replied.

“Are you working at all?”

“Nope.”

I then told him that he earned his GED and that we’d forward his scores to his home. I also reminded him that his chances of getting a job were much better now and to start pounding the pavement. I haven’t a clue as to where he is now, but I’m hoping he’s not back in the system.

Disclaimer: The random numbers generated for the photo do not reflect my current students in the Michigan Department of Corrections, nor did they originate from the Offender Tracking Information System.

9 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Strangely, I just finished reading a Donald Goines book. "Inner City Hoodlum." I've got a few others lying around here.

Anonymous said...

Jim, That picture looks like your days at St. Matthews. Anyone still there or did they shut down??It would be interesting to know where Bunnie is and what he is doing. That's great that he rcvd. his GED which showed that he accomplished something in life. --Bro, Ron

the walking man said...

Just keep chugging JR fuck statistics because i think only people who have never been locked up or are friends with people who have spent years inside are the only ones who believe them. You can only do what you do and one of the things you can not control is what someone else decides is the right statistic then prints it for the citizens.

peace

thethinker said...

I've got a friend who always makes up statistics when she wants me to believe something she's saying. And, 9 times out of 10, I foolishly believe her.

Keep it up with the students. I'm sure that whether a GED is attained or not, the impact you have on your students is more than just 6%.

Anonymous said...

Hey!!!! What's happening at the Science Olympiad? Enquiring minds would like to know. Still breathing free air said....or better yet,isn't time for another You Tube? Come on JR! you can do it. MW :)

Ellie said...

I don't much like "statistics". Usually they only reflect someone's point of view and aren't really truthful anyway. They (whoever is speaking) will go "statistic shopping" until they find the one "study" in which matches up to how the speaker person believes.

And...um....ahem.....I just happened to see that you called me "Emily"...again.... over on Stitch's blog today. lol...I guess you have associated me with the name Emily and you just can't teach an old dog new tricks. I am laughing...not offended...it gave me a chuckle when I read it, so I had to mention it here. :)

JR's Thumbprints said...

Once again, I'm sorry Ellie. Perhaps it's old age. What's in a name anyway? Hey, maybe I'll address this topic in my next post!

Erik Donald France said...

Nice one, JR. 6%? Yikes!

GrizzBabe said...

Here's hoping Bunnie took advantage of the opportunities his GED afforded him and turned his life around.