Thursday, February 22, 2007

THE FISHBOWL JUST GOT SMALLER














Before I transferred from the prison in Detroit to my current facility, I had heard about their school secretary, a middle-aged white woman, arriving for work on her scheduled days off so she could finish the academic program’s ACA (American Correctional Association) standards. Of course this was just a front, her way of arranging an ongoing dalliance with a younger inmate doing time for murder. And not just a garden variety I-lost-my-temper-and-pulled-the-trigger type of killing either. From my recollections of what I’d read in the Detroit Free Press and saw on the WDIV news station, this fellow was involved in the St. Aubin Massacre, where bodies were found hacked into pieces.

Of course, from my previous post, you already know there are no secrets in prison, that we work in a fishbowl. So it’s no surprise that this woman had been under a cloud of suspicion. Perhaps someone walked in on the two lovebirds kissing, or maybe the typical snitch kites started flying. A brief investigation ensued and what transpired next may have been a blessing in disguise (for her anyway). Once upon a time it wasn’t a felony for having sex with an inmate; instead, the guilty employee was simply fired. That’s exactly what happened in this case, leaving her with an opportunity to pursue work elsewhere.

It gets weirder. One day, while I was having dinner with my wife, she asked, “Do you know a Pat W--?” I had learned that this former secretary found a better job, a promotion actually, with the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality. The DEQ had offices in the same building where my wife worked. “Her coworkers hate her guts,” my wife added. “And the rumors are flying that she married a convict. Do you know anything about it?” Did I ever. Approximately one year later, I started teaching in the building where Pat W fell in love. Imagine that.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim, Another crazy story. Wow! You come up with some dandies... She probably had weekend sex with the inmate, got caught, got fired, and is probably some CEO of some company out on the outside. Who knows, maybe she is taken care of from subordinates below if you know what I mean. --Bro, Ron

Erik Donald France said...

Another weird one. At least this one wasn't another librarian. Although Elizabeth McCracken was, which this tale reminds me of for some reason. Life is weird, eh?

Ruth W. said...

Jim, I must thank you. You make my job look better every day!!!

I'm a happy camper now!!!

H.E.Eigler said...

I don't understand woman who lust after convicts! I told my Hubby when we started dating that it was quits for us if he ever cheated on me - or went to jail. Seems reasonable right? Just what would a woman get from a relationship like that? I'm stupefied over this one....

Bardouble29 said...

Geez, people are nuts. Why would a perfectly nice person choose to get involved with someone likethat?

ZZZZZZZ said...

What a great picture! Thanks for the get well wishes!

etain_lavena said...

Some weird ass shize going on in prison.....goodness me!!

Anonymous said...

We lost quite a few that way. They told us it would happen in new employee school. Still hard to believe until you see it...Keep them rolling JR. MW

Nosjunkie said...

I dont know whos more psyco the secretary or the convict

Donsie said...

What if they are really in love - does love not make you blind? I think it is sweet that she can see past his mistakes. I am not sure I would be able to be so blind - but true love can't be stopped.
Great Post JR!

Michelle's Spell said...

Man, what's with those convicts? I'm thinking it speaks to some man shortage or something, but dear God, give me the single life over conjugal visits anytime!

Charles Gramlich said...

Hey, what's a little blood and a few body parts between lovers eh?

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Ah, love conquers all.

Maybe the appeal of violent prisoners is really based in a deepseated fear that oneself is a bad person. Being with someone who is officially so much worse may bring a certain freedom from her own demons of doubt.

Or maybe she saw too many Jack Nicholson movies: "You make me want to be a better man."