Tuesday, February 6, 2007

HEAD ON A STICK, FIST IN MOUTH














When one of us felt like it, we’d yell, “Head on a stick.” That meant you’d been paralyzed in an accident from the neck down, and the other person had to do everything for you that you couldn’t do as a result of your condition.

—Michelle Brooks, “The Difference Between Pluto And Goofy,” from the Alaska Quarterly Review

I’ve encountered my share of messed up kids masking their deficiencies with bravado. When that didn’t meet their emotional needs, I’d see them cowering, sulking, and even sucking their thumbs in the back of my classroom. Believe it or not, these were some bad ass teenagers. Thumb-sucking was not unusual for this breed of kid. I guess we all need some type of security.

I’ve only encountered one kid who sucked his entire fist. I don’t know how he did it without gagging or choking himself to death. He’d insert his massive right hand into his mouth damned near all the way to his wrist bone. Or so I’d thought.

As a reward for good behavior, I’d take my class to the boarded-up St. Rose hall across the street from our school. We’d play basketball on the broken-tiled gymnasium floor, and on a few occasions I’d invite the men standing on the streetcorner for a pick-up game. Our director frowned upon this; I often told her, don’t worry, they check their weapons at the door. We never had a problem except for the fist-sucking kid, who, for whatever reason, would insert his massive mitt into his mouth after the slightest confrontation. When he felt comfortable again, he’d rejoin the game, and as soon as he touched the ball everyone would hit the sidelines.

“DeWayne’s low man. Low man’s got to disinfect the ball,” one kid pointed out.

“I ain’t touchin’ it,” DeWayne said before turning to the culprit, “Nasty, germ infested muthafucka!” The perfectly functional ball remained in the middle of the court and might as well have been deflated. Game over. The low man never did what he was told; No sense in damaging his pride too.

Another time, while doing classwork, the director called me into the hallway to inform me that this kid’s mother was murdered with a shotgun. She looked as if she wanted me to deliver the bad news. “Hang on,” I said, “I’ll get him for you.” In no time at all, she sent him right back into my room. And in no time at all, he sat down and inserted his fist into his mouth. And in no time at all, the rest of the class started complaining about his filthy habit. “Leave him be,” I demanded, not knowing what else to say.

So there he sat, catatonic, staring into the void, and all I could do was distract the others from the only security he had—his fist.

18 comments:

etain_lavena said...

Jr this is so sad, I am actually crying for this child.
One of Freud's theory on this was that you would get fixated in a certain state trough your infant years that you will carry with you always. In this case Oral Fixation. He must have been breast fed so it takes him back to the only place that was comforting and peacful..Gosh!
Sad so very very sad.

ShadowFalcon said...

Oh my that poor kid. I can't believe they jsut sent him back in to class...

Donsie said...

I can relate to the thumb suck. I did that as kid. Not in public in the privicy of my own room. But yes I would say for comfort. To feel save. To forget. And to survive. I am sure if I could fit my fist in my mouth I would do the same. Just a way of dealing with pain...

Charles Gramlich said...

A sad tale.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

I don't know how you cope with all this violence, let alone how a kid copes with it. I know I wouldn't cope well at all. I am so sad for this kid.

ivan said...

My wife spoiled me by introdicing me to nice people.
I am out of that milieu (not entirely my idea--they kicked me out).

But I wonder how long I would last in a nearly intolerable situation.

I had a taste of it when teaching academic upgrading.
Some kid suggested I may be a Hoover or an Electrolux.
Told him not to talk with his mouth full.
Said the dean, "You had to place yourself on your verbal resources?"

I soon got back with a nicer group of kids, but some of the coarseness stayed with me.

Ivan

Johnny Yen said...

A friend of mine taught autistic kids, and having kids wank was a regular feature of her day. And they liked to hit and pinch her. She was with a group of people I'd join for a drink back in my pub-crawling (i.e. pre-parenthood) days, and she'd always have a fresh batch of bruises on her arm.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic story JR. Vivid explanations and comparisons to MB's work. But you might want to lighten up a bit. It looks like you are in the void. Just my impression...MW :-)

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

Great story and great quote. :) Thanks for the shout out! I once had a student who burned himself with cigarettes during class breaks. I had to stop letting him go outside during the breaks -- he broke my heart. I don't have any idea where the behavior came from, but there was more to come from others, just nothing quite that dramatic.

Laura said...

Such a sad story. I feel so bad for this child. How could she just send him back into the classroom after dropping that tragic news on him! You'd think they would have at least let him talk counselor about what had happened or something along those lines. Very sad.

Jo said...

Omigod, that is so sad. Did you ever find out what happened to that kid? I can't believe they told him his mother had been killed and then sent him back to the classroom.

You sure do lead an interesting life.

Josie

Johnny Yen said...

Good god-- I'd only looked at the first half of that story and commented on it. I guess it never crossed my mind that the story could get worse.

The level of disfunction in his "family" must have made a David Lynch film look normal. I can't believe there was no one in his family who could pick him up and take care of him that day.

Nosjunkie said...

I have read the teory that Etain is talking about and it also explaines the thumb sucking thing

kimber the wolfgrrrl said...

Poor child...

~d said...

Wow, Jr. this is intense. I mean, of course on never KNOWs what they are going to find when they follow a link. But I tell you, you have caught me off guard. incredible. Thank you for sharing.

Desirea Madison said...

Tough life. Edgar Allen Poe had a tough life.

Erik Donald France said...

Jim, the photo absolutely cracked me up. Perfect!

Anonymous said...

Jim, Interesting and a sad sad story. Sounds like foot in mouth disease..... --Bro, Ron