Monday, September 17, 2007

THROWING TOMATOES



One year ago I wrote: This is serious. Something needs to be done about all the tomato pushers out there, aggressively forcing large quantities of their mutated fruit onto unsuspecting citizens such as myself.





Today I write: There will be no continuation of tomato pushers in my neighborhood because of an invasion of tomato hornworms, and even though I preserved a half dozen of the fat little buggers in Isopropyl Alcohol, I’m afraid the damage is done. I must admit, they'll make for neat specimens in the 2008 Science Olympiad competition.

Last night I met with one, yes—one, not two or three or four—but one Science Olympiad committee member. The meeting went pretty much as expected. Start by praising the volunteers (my wife and I) for doing a phenomenal job, then ease into the concerns, aka complaints. According to the guidelines: The competitors will identify various body parts, characteristics, habitats, ecological significance, and life cycles of twelve orders of Insecta. However, even though our questions do not deviate from the two reference books listed on the rule sheet, some coaches thought it unfair to ask the kids to actually identify specific bugs by their common name.

“I’ve been making my own insect collections for the competition,” I defended, “and every bug that I ask for identification of is pictured in these books. Plus, they’re allowed to bring a homemade bug chart into the event.” Then I asked for specific schools that complained regarding this issue. He offered up one school in particular.

After much discussion, I agreed to add one line to the rules: They will also identify insects from within these orders.

When my wife and I returned home, I commented on how unprepared some coaches were. “Let’s see, it’s okay to ask a garden variety of questions on a bug, its life cycle, its ecological significance, its habitat. But you cross the line when you ask for its name.”

My wife cut me short. “Well, you know,” she said, “his child competed in our event last year …”

I was dumbfounded.

“…and that’s the school that complained.”

I should’ve known. I’m glad I didn’t cave-in to all his suggestions.

Here’s a bonus question for everyone: What type of wasps will emerge from the cocoons on the back of this tomato hornworm? (Keep in mind that at the elementary level this question would be multiple choice.)

20 comments:

geewits said...

Icky ones?

Anonymous said...

Parasitic. Spoken with a defiance known only by the proletariate and ignored by the bourgeois. Where's my shovel? Nice picture. Enjoyed the post. MW :)

the walking man said...

uh a wasp that stings?

Peace

mark

Beth said...

I need the multiple choice question so that I have a fighting chance.

ian@creativewriting.ca said...

The middleclass ignores all sorts of things.
Such as parasites.

Screw cancer...or don't screw cancer.

If we had more parasites, incidences of colon cancer would lessen.

God's lesson fom the Third World,for whom cancer is less and less of a concern?

Ivan

the walking man said...

Boil oil,toil and trouble fry the parasites and have a good dinner.


for your colons sake, the parasite cocoons will scrape you clean as they pass through you,

Just remember to have a soothing dose of preparation H ready for the old bung hole because the fried shells are harder than calcified kidney rock, which are mere pebbles by comparison,

Peace

Ivan

I am now becoming Ivan's evil twin


Oh yeah fuck'em, them that complained Jim I know you can say four simple words that belong in a haiku somewhere Kiss MY Ass Bitches

Kiss my ass bitches
in the early dawn bare are
my buns for your lips

Ruth W. said...

braconid wasp??

JR's Thumbprints said...

Ruth,
Jeff Foxworthy says, "You're smarter than a fifth grader!"

Ruth W. said...

LOLOL..I must confess I "googled" it, but I learned much about the tomato hornworm. I don't think I have seen it here in Minnesota yet.

Cheri said...

I admire your WANT to touch what I consider "icky things!"

Those are some cool bugs though. I'd probably run away screaming if it was that close to me.

Leslie: said...

Fascinating!

heiresschild said...

uh, JR, i'm on the elementary level, so could i have multiple choice please? i hate bugs of any kind (sorry bug lovers), but i love tomatoes.

eric1313 said...

Will the wasps that emerge devour the horn worm?

Like a dragonlady from my poem about such?

Actually, I don't really want to know--but I do. Conflicted, I am indeed.

My Granny was disapointed this year. Her tomatos got eaten up pretty bad. Only the little grape sized toamtos survived. Not that I'm a big fan of tomatos--stewed tomatos in chili and spaghetti sauce, but thats about it.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Eric,
The larvae of the braconid wasp will feed off the tomato hornworm and kill it. However, it's best that I intervene and eradicate the hornworm. Think of it like this: The tomato is Michigan's budget, the hornworm is the Senate trying to kill it, and the House is those baby braconid wasps trying to resolve the issue themselves.

Anonymous said...

"Braconid wasp," yikes. You've got to love inside meddling with the rules.

A teacher neighbor of mine grew some night shades in a barrel, then as they ripened, he became afraid to eat them. Strange -- maybe the bugs frightened him ;)

-- Erik

the walking man said...

Oh man you didn't like my haiku?

it, sir was written out of a sense of battling your detractors,may they all walk across hot coals before they meditate themselves into the Buddhist's trance that allows one to do so.

I have been stung!
Ivan the Evil

Danny Tagalog said...

Hi JR,

What a fascinating post! Educational too - the 'tomato hornworm' aren't icky are they? They are pretty damn beautiful!

Ruth W. said...

of course now I'll have to "google" braconid wasp..lol. See JR, you can become an internet teacher and teach us all about the insect world. I'll sign up!!

JR's Thumbprints said...

TWM,
Gezunteit! (for your haiku).

eric1313 said...

I see your meaning.

Lets get rid of the all the bugs and happily eat 'maters all the live long day. I'll get used to them.

I didn't vote for parasites on any level. To bad that's what politicos turn into rather quickly.