Friday, September 28, 2007

NON-ESSENTIAL EMPLOYEES














"I am really quite fatigued as my first working day draws to a close. I do not wish to suggest, however, that I am disheartened or depressed or defeated. For the first time in my life I have met the system face to face, fully determined to function within its context as an observer and critic in disguise, so to speak." Ignatius J. Reilly (A Confederacy of Dunces)

After fifteen years of service with the Michigan Department of Corrections, I have been told that I am a non-essential employee: Due to an unanticipated loss of funding as a result of the state’s current budget crisis, I (Patricia L. Caruso, Director) am notifying you that you are being placed on a temporary layoff consistent with the provisions of your applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement and/or Civil Service Rules… Do not report to work beginning on Monday, October 1, 2007, unless otherwise notified.

After all those years, I’ve been led to believe educating prisoners mattered. I’ll be the first to admit it—I had my doubts—but when you earn a paycheck you do what you're paid to do. You teach those who are willing to listen, and you write "Out of Place" tickets on those refusing to attend school. Basically, you try to convince them, through positive and negative measures, that their education is important. More times than not, they will tell you about someone with a bachelors or masters degree standing in the unemployment line. "What’s that got to do with your studies?" I’ve always responded.

Earlier this week I received a survey in the mail from Michigan Senator Alan Sanborn. He had three basic questions:

Do you support the early release of certain nonviolent felons to save the state money?

Should Michigan join 22 other states in allowing public and private-sector employees to choose whether or not they will belong to a union, thus making Michigan a "Right to Work" state?

What is the best way to fix Michigan’s current fiscal problems?

Implementing significant government reforms that include scaling back or ending nonessential programs.

Implementing or increasing user fees and taxes including potential taxes on telephones, event tickets and gasoline, as well as increases to the income and sales taxes.

A mix of minor government reforms coupled with new taxes and fees. These reforms could help reduce the total amount of new revenue needed, but taxes would still have to be raised, potentially significantly, to continue to fund the programs that have not been reformed.

What a joke! Let me guess, Senator Sanborn is waiting to tally the results before compromising on a budget? In the mean time, I, along with my peers, will be stuck without a paycheck, or two, or three. As far as I’m concerned, the word "incumbent" on a ballot, along with name recognition, is the kiss of death. The true non-essential employees are the buffoons in Lansing deciding on the future of our state.

12 comments:

the walking man said...

Hey that incumbent thing is what I did in the last election and Kwami got elected anyway...You do get unemployment right? or is that office shut down to?

Go fishing and if you need a few bucks we'll go together and roll on the guy who has the Moross and I-94 exit ramp that way not only we can steal his money but you'll have a good ramp to hold your "work for food" sign on

Peace

mark

eric1313 said...

This is aa bleak place to live.

They waited ten years too long to do anything about it. Perhaps, if the state had seen a national oil price hike or payed attention to the pulse of the failing auto industry--which we all new about, despite wishful thinking on many people's part about things being cyclical--they could have brought in new technologies and promoted new industrial growth in different parts of he state.

Now it won't be just the young genration, like me, moving to greener pastures--it will be proven, experienced workers and professionals such as yourself.

I hope you can find another source of employment soon, Jim. Fat John destroyed any benefits that you have many years of paying into. To bad he didn't issue a refunf to people who paid taxes on two years of unemployment benefits, not just this three months or whatever it is.

Best of wishes. Good luck.

eric1313 said...

yep--a double 'a' bleak place.
That bad...

Leslie: said...

Whoa...so sorry...too young to retire but hopefully you'll be able to use your experience and education in another area. Perhaps juvenile offenders? Give them the down and dirty truth about where they're headed if they don't get an education. In the meantime, if you get unemployment payments, take the time to really consider your next move. My best...

Beth said...

Incredible what "they" deem non-essential when the crunch comes.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Any other forms of employment out there? I have a feeling this will take a long time for the Michigan Government to get a budget in place. Oh well, the weather is great to go out and enjoy it!! --Bro, Ron

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Jesus, JR,

Maybe it's a good thing I ran away from Seneca College hereabouts when the writing was on the wall.
To put it lightly, I was a token male in the English department. And a golfer. Different story but I was put through the wringer anyway.
I've got a feeling this will somehow resolve itself. I have no doubt you are a good teacher.
My mistake had been to stay with the same college and not send resumes out.
Teachers are still in high demand.
You'll float.

Ivan

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Jr, I'm so sorry about your layoff. It seems that education has become less essential than fighting wars, but what the politicians fail to realize is that education IS the way to fight the ignorance that causes most wars.

Working with prisoners seems like the best insurance that some of them will lead productive lives when they get out.

I wish you luck with your difficult situation, and hope it really is temporary.

Here's a great quote on incumbents:

"In times of rapid change,
experience could be your worst enemy." John Paul Getty

Anonymous said...

Hey sunshine. I am in the same boat. It will resolve itself. Term limits have to go. These same bafoons will draw 75% of their salary after only two unproductive terms. Some only one term. In the words of Johnathon Swift, "When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him." OOOWEEE. Enjoy the ride. MW :)

Anonymous said...

Hang in there BRO!!!!

Erik Donald France said...

Confederacy of dingbats. . .

Overflow inmates can be sent to Cuba a la Mariel.

Teachers can take over the legislature. Ooorah!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

JR,

I know you disabled comments on your poem but I have to tell you, it's beautiful.

Also, I have given you an award. Please come by to pick it up at your convenience.