Tuesday, September 4, 2007

KEEP FISHING



I shall remain hopefully optimistic with the submission process of a certain small literary journal that has rejected me thrice. What more can I do?—besides the obvious: Write better, keep submitting, and establish an ongoing writer/editor relationship.



I've been reading this specific journal faithfully, and know their submission format by heart. They assign your work to one of three teams of editors. Each team consists of two editors. If one of the assigned editors likes your piece, or if both editors say “maybe,” it advances to the other four editors for further consideration, or scrutiny, or whatever you want to call it. Either way, it usually spells “rejection.”

Here are some favorable comments I received regarding my last nonfiction piece:

Editor 5: No. The writing is good but the environment is alien enough to require more backstory than is given. Too many gaps in information, as it is presented.

Editor 6: No. Interesting subject matter but this lacked emotional sequel to me. I needed to see an arc in understanding from one of the characters; otherwise this is just the telling of an event without the punch a story gives. If it was wrong for the coworker to promise the inmate a tutoring gig, why was it ok for the narrator to do the same thing?

Although I do not agree with everything in their critique, I will say this: The entire submission process is subjective. Who knows, maybe they’re killing me with kindness, maybe they don’t like prison stories, maybe they’re hoping I’ll go away, maybe with my most recent submission, they’ll come right out and say, "You suck." All I can do is keep writing, keep submitting, and keep fishing.

10 comments:

Beth said...

At least those editors give you some direction.
Beats those form letters: "We read your story with interest but the subject matter is not what we are looking for right now..."
I've been tempted to write back and say, "Oh, and when might you be interested in this subject matter?"

Keep trying! Don't give up.

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Think I'd listen to editor #5.

I had pretty well the same response on a novel of mine thirty years ago, almost word for word.

What they actually said is that there were three holes in my novel, and one big one...Also that I had written too much and not structured enough.
I did follow their advice and now my journalst friends tell me the book is ok. You can click onto my site and find THE HAT PEOPLE if you have nothing better to do.

Ivan

Jo said...

JR, it does sound hopeful, actually, that they are giving you some constructive criticism. They want you to "hone" your work. I would definitely take that as a good sign.

P.S. Ivan has found Geewits' hot tub. Heh, heh.

geewits said...

JR,
I'm glad editor #5 said what he did. Sometimes I can't really follow your prison stories because you use terms that are foreign to me. Maybe you feel that you shouldn't have to explain "lockdown" and other terms every time, and I get that, but sometimes I just have to guess at what you are talking about. I always enjoy the heart of your stories even if I don't always understand the head. (See, it's like that.)

the walking man said...

I think what you submit and what you post, while the same subject matter, the submissions are much longer; by a few thousand words or so.
maybe what you need is an objective eye to read before you submit, someone who can read the submission and is not familiar with the environment you work in and can see holes before an editor.

But Just keep fishing none the less sooner or later (preferably sooner) you'll get a bite and it will be that big one.

Peace

mark

Leslie: said...

I, too, really enjoy your stories of prison life - as a teacher, that is. Have you ever considered doing a screenplay?

thethinker said...

I wish I had that kind of persistence.

Anonymous said...

Keep at it JR you got talent.
Enjoyed the read. MW :)

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

JR,

Oh yeah, I borrowed your hot tub again tonight for the big party...Too small, said Tara.

Visited Geewitz but hers couldn't accommodate twenty people.

Finally went to a spa.

Whee! We are all in a yellow submarine.

Up periscope!

Ivan

Cheri said...

There are a bunch of magazines and journals (with addresses) in the back of one of my books for my English class. It gave me some renewed faith (even if it is futile) but you can't give yourself credit if you don't try.
So keep trying. You're amazing.