Thursday, September 13, 2007

I'M GOING TO DISNEYLAND

















In 1992, the year I started teaching for the Michigan Department of Corrections, a Los Angeles rock group known as dada arrived on the scene. Their debut album “Puzzle” had considerable airplay. I remember singing one particular song on many occasions while navigating the streets of Detroit. It seemed appropriate, since I was usually traveling to work.

“I just ran away from home…” I’d mouth along.

Although clear and straightforward, some lyrics take time to sink in; even for a prison educator such as myself. Back then, when a professional sports team won a championship, it wasn’t uncommon for the millionaire athletes celebrating their victory to claim (next verse of the song):

“I’m going to Disneyland…”

However, once you’ve been on both sides of the concertina-wired fence, you become less optimistic and more cynical. You realize that these words mean absolutely nothing—they’re just another slick marketing campaign by then Disney CEO Michael Eisner and his underlings. Disney has an ugly side; they probably pay these athletes to endorse them. It sickens me.

At one correctional institution the white inmates in horticulture class planted an assortment of flowers on the prison grounds. Their instructor let them choose whatever design and flowers they preferred. It wasn’t long after they were finished that someone, perhaps a maintenance worker checking for a leaky roof, noticed the evil formation of marigolds hidden in an assortment of other plants. Shortly afterward, an inspector snapped a picture of a rather large swastika before having everything ripped out.

It’s not always easy staying positive when you work in an environment that is continuously manipulated. Below are the rest of dada’s lyrics to “Dizz Knee Land,” followed by a cheerful, current picture taken outside my school building.

I just crashed my car again / Now I’m going to dizz knee land.
I just robbed a grocery store / I’m going to dizz knee land.
I just flicked off President George / I’m going to dizz knee land.
I just tossed a fifth of gin / Now I’m going to dizz knee land.
I just got cuffed again / I’m going to dizz knee land yeah

Shot my gun into the night / I’m going to dizz knee land.
I just saw a good man die / I’m going to dizz knee land.
Come on … I’m going to dizz knee land.

Kicked my ass out of school
Rolled me out into the streets
Hitched a ride on a monkey’s back
Headed west into the black
I’m going to dizz knee land.



11 comments:

Cheri said...

Well, the could have made giant penises. That would have at least been funny.

geewits said...

A swastika made of marigolds! That really boggles the mind. I thought you were going to say they somehow spelled out the "N" word. That's one funny looking bush (and believe me there are a lot of funny looking "bushes" out there)!

the walking man said...

You have to admit that the whole swastika thing was pretty funny, given the way inmates minds look for ways to release themselves from boredom with a strange creativity. I can see them all giggling like schoolgirls after the plants grew and no one noticed until the day the shit got ripped out. Then of course it was the "what,we din't do nothin', just a freak of nature" Human nature. I am sure the inmates of color even got a smirk out of it the way they "stuck it to the man"

I wouldn't have put that picture of the bush up you do know how dizz nee likes to sue. Family oriented gestapo corporation that they are.

Anonymous said...

Great story and pic. I thought it was the side view of a turkey?
MW :)

Erik Donald France said...

Love it! Excellent post -- and song. Reminds me of another good one, Mission of Burma's "That's When I Reach for my Revolver."

Cheers -- happy Friday!

benjibopper said...

that's some kinda symbol, marigold swastika. there's an epic poem in that.

Beth said...

Not such a nice picture - creative, but not so nice...

Ruth W. said...

I'm sure it kept the inmates entertained for months.

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Mexican from Yucatan?

I think I saw swastikas in and around old pyramids.

But, more likely, real Dada--take the formerly sacred and make it profane.
Like the Nazis who used Egyptian pyramid stuff for their emblems and symbols.

Ivan

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

Strange. I don't know the song, but just reading your post, I was ready to crank it up and rock to it. But that's just me.

eric1313 said...

That's really not funny but very sad, about the swastika flowers. And I just watched a history channel program about the Aryan Brotherhood in the US prison system, too.

I remember dada. Cooler than LA Gums, but not as cool as Guns n Roses, not as weird as the Chili Peppers and not as... well, again, not as weird as Jane's Addiction. The LA music scene was a powerhouse at that time.

Thanks for the comments at my blog. I clinked everyone who commented with a customized toast.

Good fun. Peace out