Sunday, September 16, 2007

UNEMPLOYMENT LINE, HERE I COME

Last week I infiltrated the ranks in preparation of a government shutdown in Michigan. My most logical choice: a middle school science classroom. Why? Because I started an insect identification program for our county’s Science Olympiad Program, which, I might add, is the largest elementary school program in the United States. Not that it should matter, most public schools are begging for subs on the cheap. School administrators will work them for eighty-nine days, then forget about them. Something about a union contract stating that after ninety days, the school district must hire the sub as a regular—that wouldn’t be financially responsible, now would it?

What really amazes me is how easy it is to walk into a public school building and not be questioned. An open house is truly an open house. Not one teacher questioned me. Not one teacher said, “I don’t recognize you. Are you new to this district? Which student on my roster is yours?”

Instead, I heard one teacher say she doesn’t assign homework on Fridays because the weekends are for her and her family. I didn’t want to draw attention to myself, even though I wanted to say, Yeah but you have the whole summer, whereas I teach all year round. Then I thought, Not anymore, now that our dear politicians in the puzzle palace, otherwise known as the state capital building in Lansing, refuse to work together and settle Michigan’s budget crisis. Our two party system is alive and well. (See the "Blogging for Michigan" link on the right for more details.)

When the first bell rang, signifying the parents to switch classrooms just like their children would, I decided to visit a Social Studies class. I realize that the easiest teaching certificate to obtain is in this subject, but still, the instructor should have made sure that “September” had been spelled correctly on the board. Again, not that it mattered. No one said anything. Perhaps out of politeness. Still, “Sepmember” looked a little funny.

The only time a parent raised a concern in a classroom had been when another teacher’s presentation consisted of all the advanced degrees she had and how many committees she participated on. She implied that she was so busy fighting for the education of her students with meetings and her own personal schooling, that there were times when a sub would be necessary; it was inevitable. A father spoke out, “Just how many days do you plan on missing?”

I shouldn’t bash my fellow teachers. It’s not an easy job. I’m just hoping the state settles this budget mess by October 1st or I’ll be in the unemployment line or subbing. I don’t know which is the bigger ass kicking. Speaking of such matters, Monday evening I’m scheduled to meet with the Science Olympiad board members. They want to review my event and share some of the complaints and concerns lodged against me. Should be interesting, considering it’s a voluntary position.

14 comments:

Beth said...

I'm impressed with your having started the insect I.D. program but must have missed the post about "complaints and concerns" lodged against you. What could possibly result from that meeting if it's a volunteer position?
Hope the job situation works out for the best for you. Excellent teachers should be prized, coveted...not be out of work.

Anonymous said...

Jim, It doesn't look good for the State of Michigan balancing the budget by 10/1/07! There is in house fighting up in Lansing. Hope everything goes well with the ESO Monday night. --Bro, Ron

Anonymous said...

Partisan politics at it's worst or best depending on how you look at it. If the state shuts down we won't be paid but I wonder if the legislature will be paid.? I believe they will call it a partial shutdown and only layoff civilians. We won't even be able to collect unemployment. Unlike the federal government Michigan
can only operate in the black.
Can't believe you have to listen to complaints for a volunteer position. Let the teachers do it.
Enjoyed the read. MW:)

Erik Donald France said...

Well, there's always the great cluster&*^%$ in Iraq. I hear there's extra danger pay for teachers and bodyguards if you're willing to risk your limbs or brain.

Good luck -- your take on "regular" schools is brutal, if apt. More general apathy -- out of politeness, of course!

the walking man said...

snag your un-employment first then when it runs out go for subbing, CoD was paying 125 a day last I heard.


just hope you remember that the legislature and administration is grinding all of us down to nothingness so you know when you go down you're no going alone Jim.

Peace

mark

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

This so reminds me of the time when I finally got out of teaching academic upgradint to slow learners and re-entering the chi- chi poo- poo world of elite students.
I had come back greatly changed.
"Welcome Back Cotter" did not go over with eh chi-chi-poo poos.
theyk wanted structured, point-bypoint learning.
I finally faced the alienation and said, "they hired me because no one had seen a drunk before."
The dutifully wrote this down.

How smaret were these elite students anyway?
Gave the lot of them a C-minus.

Ivan

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Oops.
Sh'd read academic upgrading.

...Maybe they had a point.
Sptember? :)

Ivan

geewits said...

Complaints and concerns?
Do tell.

benjibopper said...

yeesh, what a sad state of affairs for public schools.

i'll keep fingers crossed for you. on the other hand, maybe a change in scenery wouldn't hurt?

Ruth W. said...

Teachers have always received the raw deal. I feel they are the most influential people we have for our children, and we treat them like crap!!

No wonder teachers want to teach at private schools.

patterns of ink said...

Hey, my 7th grade daughter still needs a praying mantis for her bug collection. I wish there was a way to mail that over here. =) She's got 28 of 32 required bugs.
I'm not holding my breath on this budget mess. I am, however, watching the Tigers beat the Indians (so far). =)

eric1313 said...

That's sad, Jim.

You and your program are one of the few chances that those folks have. Other than that, the best thing open to them is to commit some crime of their choice and get sent back inside--at least they'll get fed, have a place to sleep and not have to worry about finding a job that doesn't exist.

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,
Hang in there! Here's hoping for the best. I hate administrative crap. :(

Eulalia said...

Well said.