Sunday, September 9, 2007

UNTITLED POEM #44

















I thought I saw myself
Before I was born,
My minds-eye playing tricks on me.

Where’s the ultrasound?
Where’s the smoky-white fetus?
The sucking of a transparent thumb?

Insecurity develops much later,
The ghost saturates the image.
I scan it anyway.

But I know better.
The date’s all wrong.
1962, a year too early.
October, the month afterward.

So I’m turned around. Breech born.
Looking inward, instead of outward.
Rolling back time.

Call it a “do-over.”

President Kennedy completes his term.

The celebration of my arrival postponed by a day.

Still, I watch and wait.

The matching floor lamps serve as incubators
I refuse to race toward the gate.
Then I discover my flight’s been changed.

Call it “9-10.”

There’s a slight tug on my ankle,
And a calculated slap, with momentary blackouts,
Before Father smokes his Cuban cigar.

12 comments:

Ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Wow.

Ivan

Michelle's Spell said...

That's a great poem, Jim. Reminds me of one of my favorites by, you guessed it, old St. Ray. Anyway, this one is all your own -- really nostalgic and lovely!

Beth said...

"The ghost saturates the image."
I love it.
Also love the thought of a poem being inspired by an old photo.

patterns of ink said...

I love it. The old double exposure. I haven't seen one of those in ages... an authentic one at that. Did it bring about the poem or just fit in with the ghost idea?
Nicely done.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Wow. I really like this. Some great images and altogether spellbinding.

Thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic!!! Thumb sucking, fetal position, behind the couch creative. Enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing. MW :)

Michelle's Spell said...

Happy late birthday, Jim! You share the day with Ben Wallace? That's too cool!

Erik Donald France said...

Yes indeed, sir -- happy birthday to you!

I like the poem, as well ;)

robin said...

Enjoyed the poem, and a happy belated birthday!

singleton said...

Wow is right! That was incredible!

eric1313 said...

What they all said.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Wow, I just saw this. That's me in the photo. Happy B-Day!! --Bro, Ron