Monday, July 10, 2006

BLIVETS

After one week of vacation, I returned to work not knowing whether personnel had put a stop order on me. A stop order is the equivalent of "the wall of shame"; it’s where they post your name and photo id on their metal detector to remind the gate officer that you’re no longer permitted inside the facility. For those of you new to my blog, I had received a memo requesting an updated teaching certificate. Although I followed the necessary protocol, six credit hours of course work and a renewal application to the Michigan Department of Education, personnel for some reason thinks I’m lying. Now they’re sending me nasty emails with more threats of termination. Gee, makes me feel like I’m the criminal in here.

I remember discussing bad teachers with one of my inmate students; he thought it was a great idea to have all teachers re-fingerprinted for a digital database. It seems the Michigan State Police tossed out the old teacher fingerprint files in favor of a system more computer orientated. After pointing out that I didn’t have a problem with being re-fingerprinted and having a thorough background check, that I just didn’t feel I should have to fork over $80 to have it done, another inmate chimed in, "Shit, if you want it for free, then commit a crime." HOT DAMN! Valid point. Chalk one up for Mr. Einstein. (For another fresh prison educator perspective visit the following site: www.frombehindbars.blogspot.com.)

Anyway, I’m back inside the prison and all I’m thinking is "blivet" on account of all the work I’ve got to do. Serves me right for taking a vacation. Do you know what a blivet is? It’s ten pounds of shit crammed into a five-pound bag.

Today’s pic is from late 1996, it’s back in the day when inmates were allowed to wear their own clothing—now, as Michigan taxpayers, we not only feed and house them, we clothe them too. Notice my messy desk and the inmate demanding answers. My duties included the following: GED teacher, graduation coordinator, acting school principal, inmate newspaper supervisor, and hostage negotiator. No gray hair then, but not for long. I remember some hotshots from Lansing paying us a visit. They wanted to know why our student enrollment had dropped. The Deputy Warden of Programs sent them to me. I thought the answer was quite obvious, take your pick: 1) incoming prisoners were not being tested for classroom placement because the school psychologist had been recovering from gall bladder surgery, 2) filing and school details weren’t being completed because the school secretary had been out on stress leave, 3) the facility decided to save money for custody issues by not hiring a replacement for the school principal who retired six month ago, and 4) a school waiting list had been created due to our special education teacher being sexually assaulted by an inmate. They didn’t want to hear all this; they wanted to know what plan of action had been implemented. Maybe blivets refer to people too, only on a much grander scale.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe "blivets" refers to people as well because through out my life time I worked with quite a few who fit the description and believe me to be one as well. Great post. MW

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim,

Very impressive. You've got a payload of material, some that I'm guessing you'll be able to really get at at some point. Great details! More please. . .

E'

tygresstwin said...

Yes, I understand working for government prisons, they definitely cut down people and expect those left to perform acts of God. They wanted me to teach not only lifeskills/workforce readiness, but some sort of trade, (when I was a first year teacher certified in language arts) Thankfully, I switched prisons, and now don't work directly for the government, (I teach academics, do enrollment/attendance duties, supervise the inmate paper, among other things, but mostly I actually get to teach: I teach from around the fourth grade level up through GED, Refresher Math, Algebra, and Creative Writing, most of which are held in the same room.) Thanks for listing my blog in this post. I'll mention yours next time

tygresstwin said...

hey, if you're willing to relocate, perhaps try a corporate prison, (I know they sound evil, but hell, you're working with inmates.) I worked for state government prisons and they were more pain than my current private one. Sure, there's a lot more focus on appearance and policy in a corporate prison, but your main job is the actually the job title you start with, instructor instead of "Anything and Everything we feel like at the moment"

ZZZZZZZ said...

Wow, you have a lot of catching up to do! hehe nice post! sorry about all the work! thats what happens when you take a vacation... all of a sudden nobody knows how to do shit!

Michelle's Spell said...

Jim,

Loved this post. My favorite part is the lay out of the reasons for the change in the situation -- it's amazing how it all looks in list form. Love the word blivet. Lots to think about!

R's Musings said...

Very interesting post Jim. Glad you got back in (if that's what you really wanted) :) Like Michelle, I liked the list to choose from, all very valid points! I'll have to remember that word, Blivet! --R

Anonymous said...

JR, we need to listen to tygress-twin. She just may have something here. With my luck it will be Wak-en-hut. Just a thought.MW

JR's Thumbprints said...

MW,
Tygresstwin has a valid point. Also, I think as educators we'd have an opportunity to become part of the MEA instead of the UAW, which in turn means better representation, if not pay. On the other hand, I'm not so sure I want to see custody privatized. Wackenhut's focus is on privatization of "the entire prison system"--that scares me.

tygresstwin said...

Yes, of course we need choices and variety when it comes to schooling as well as prisons and other institutions. I don't think everything must either one or the other, we can have government and private institutions. I'm very glad we do ... I'm enjoying the private one much more. Someday, if I don't get too old to start, (36 is the cut off), I might try a federal prison ... but who knows, I might just go for a regular classroom to get summers off and pay increases.

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested