Monday, July 24, 2006

MENTAL HEALTH CARE NOTES
















I can’t say whether any of the observations I’m dispensing are true or not, but the slow moving sea of blue turtles—that’s what I call the inmates dressed in matching blue outfits coming back from their morning medlines, the ones that’ll unintentionally block you from passing them on the way to the school building—are somewhat subdued. I’m not talking about the OPT (Out Patient Treatment) prisoner who’ll spit his pill into the flower beds in an act of defiance. No, not him. But the one’s that know, really really know, that without their medication they just might do something harmful to someone else, or worse, to themselves.

The defiant ones, on the other hand, actually think they’re in control. They’ll seek the attention of others. Unbeknownst to them, they can be easily manipulated into doing something "unique." Stuff like, "I’ll give you this Honey Bun if you shave your head and eyebrows," or "I know you can’t be held responsible, so quit taking your meds because I need you to stick someone for me."

A few months back, I had a student, an odd duck of sorts and a loner, reach across my desk for some writing paper, and as he extended his forearm, I saw that he was a cutter. He quickly explained that he had accidentally scraped his arm on a piece of metal. Later that day, I observed him facing the classroom window, weeping. Perhaps the doctor has increased his meds because I no longer see the uncontrollable sobbing. He is not a defiant OPT prisoner; however, the Department of Mental Health would probably be a better place for him. Ironically, guys like him are not as big of a concern as the defiant ones. It’s my belief that the latter are more prone to suicide attempts, and if rounds aren’t made regularly, they may actually succeed.

On a lighter note, today’s picture is of my mother-in-law showing off her x-rays. She explained what was ailing her, however, after one week, I seemed to have forgotten what it was. I do know this—her health insurance is better than most U.S. citizens. If she doesn’t like her doctor’s diagnoses or advice, she’ll get a second, and sometimes third opinion. Inmates have access to health care too, limited, but still available; one opinion, not several. For a small nominal $5 fee, whether it be a broken bone, ruptured kidney, or torn ligament, they can be treated, that is—after they answer the following question: "Do you smoke?"

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prisoners are no longer paying the $5 to see healthcare. I think the state raised our deductibles to offset this.

Anonymous said...

Your graphics and story are excellent.The story flows and the picture connects it. Nice work. MW

R's Musings said...

Very interesting post, Jim. The more you write, the more I respect what you do every day. I understand why you'd roast someone like AP. Your job requires you to keep the bullshit of those inmates to a minimum, whereas I can just laugh it off. Cheers to you, Jim; your blog is coming along nicely, whereas, I think I've hit a snag! lol --R

Anonymous said...

Smoking is a no no. It should be banned in all correctional institutions. What better place(s)?

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim and all,

very cool photo and post. It suddenly reminded me of grade school (I'll explain that at some point). Cheers, Erik

Anonymous said...

JR I have to disagree with anoymous about smoking in correctional facilities. I believe if they want to kill themselves smoking they should be allowed to do so; just like the alcholics. Consume as much as possible, or at least until your liver rejects it by turning your skin yellow. In both cases it won't cost the state as much.MW

JR's Thumbprints said...

To one and all:
I've heard inmates complain about seeking medical assistance for minor and major health issues. One common question: "Do you smoke?" as if that's the cause of all health problems, including a broken arm.

And Robin, I don't mind someone having fun with someone's blog, I just feel AP crossed the line a few days ago. Sad thing is: it may not have even been him, but a poser instead. I still hold him accountable because he's the one encouraging others to follow his lead. It's time he get his own blog, or find some other hobby. Lastly, don't beat yourself up over writing ideas. Go through a photo album or a newspaper, there's plenty to write about. Remember my posting "Corn?"--it went in a completely different direction than what I had intended. So just do it, you'll surprise yourself!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»