Thursday, July 27, 2006

THE ROUNDABOUT

Once again I've been rejected; this time in a roundabout way. If you'll recall from an earlier post (Another Pitch) I sent the Arts Editor of the Detroit MetroTimes a proposal regarding a book review of George Dila's "The End of the World." The editor loved it--well, actually she said, "Good idea," and suggested a 500-word limit and a deadline.


Enthused, I read and reread Dila's short story collection, and pondered and repondered common themes, and wrote and rewrote my review. Deadline? No problem. I sent it off with two days to spare. Then I waited and waited and waited ... We had both agreed that it should be published in their Summer Fiction Issue along side the contest winners.

I sent three follow-up emails, and here's the ONLY response I got: "I don't think we have room for it. When did you send it?" Ugggghhhh! I could've torched this lovely little bridge of editor/writer civility, but instead, I emailed a two-word message: "I understand."

Ironically, I skimmed through this week's issue and discovered that Eric C. Novak, local author and publisher of Elitist Publications, helped judge the contest. He and I corresponded through emails approximately two years ago, and I remember him complaining about how the MetroTimes refused to review his novel "Killing Molly." Consequently, a review of his book and a short story of mine ended up getting published in the very same issue of a small lit magazine. I'm hoping to reconnect with him, to see whether he'd be interested in posting my book review on his website, www.thedetroiter.com. Here I go again. Wish me luck.

9 comments:

Wichita-Lineman said...

Bummer. Well, you just got to roll with the punches. It is frustrating though when you approach a bride and some one on the other side is waving you over. I do admire your persistence. Keep it up Jim, your stuff is good, and I enjoy everything you post.

Anonymous said...

Life's a bitch and then you die--Anon.

Erik Donald France said...

Good luck Jim! That sucks, indeed. But sounds about like the usual snafu. Glad you're persisting, though -- the best way to respond, and the most effective approach in the long run.

Anyone else having trouble with blogspot lately? Maybe it's Comcast.

Cheers,
E'

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,
I'm feeling your pain on this one. My last rejection (of note) called my newest collection of poems "harsh and repellent." Keep fighting the good fight!

jbwritergirl said...

Hang in ther Jim.

Wait that's probably a phrase you're not allowed to use too loosely around work.

Keep your pecker up my dear. Good things come to those who wait.

I have a book of erotica that's been at the publishers for 4 months. I figure their rereading it over and over playing with themselves or they just chucked it. Who knows?

By the way I just realized that I had not linked you to my favorites and now you are linked.

jacqui

Anonymous said...

Hang in there "Bunkie." I'm in tomorrow your not so don't do too much medicine. Sing the Beatles "Hey Jude" or better yet,
after some medicine, Pink Floyds',
"Hey You or "comfortably Numb." You got talent. Let it roll off you like water on a duck.
MW

R's Musings said...

Tough stuff, Jim, but I admire your persistence. It'll happen, though that's not much consolation during these moments of frustration. Thank you so much for your wonderful, encouraging comment on my blog. I so identified w/Edna for awhile, but being in a playful mood last night, I then saw myself as Bob, strapped to that sailboat, afraid of sailing, but claiming it just the same. Claim your published story; it'll happen. Thanks again! Cheers, R

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»