Friday, July 14, 2006

DARK MATTERGY



Yesterday’s post generated an anonymous comment about Jack Kevorkian, a.k.a. Dr. Death, (the word "hell" came up repeatedly) which kind of reminds me of his artwork. From what I’ve heard, Jack’s paintings are like Hieronymus Bosch’s "Garden of Earthly Delights"—fiendish in nature, and twisted for sure. Jack also wrote a book that most critics claim is self-absorbed, ghoulish, and plain bad rambling. Not to be offensive, but does Jack have Alzheimer’s?

Today’s drawing won 1st place at the 2004 Exhibition of Art by Michigan Prisoners (University of Michigan) under the graphite sketch category. I refuse to elaborate on the artist’s criminal past except to say that next to Jack—well … let’s just say Jack would come out looking like our future American hero.

The graphite sketch, with its controlled, calculated lines, definitely defines the artist. He tutored in my GED classroom for approximately 8 years. In fact, he had been tutoring off and on in various prisons since I was in grade school. One of the corrections officer’s stated that this inmate was living his life vicariously through me; man did that send chills down my spine. By some twist of fate, the artist/prisoner in question was transferred to another facility earlier this year.

His artwork, titled "Dark Mattergy," is hanging in my basement office (he donated it and said I could do whatever I wanted with it), so for two years I have been submitting his sketch along with my poem superimposed over it to various literary magazines. I’m not sure if it’s my bad poetry, or his bad sketch, or simply his horrific past, that has made it difficult for me to get it published. Therefore, I leave it up to you to pass judgment. Please, don’t be afraid to criticize, fire away.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your story about the prison artist probably will not be made into a "Birdman of Alcatraz" type of movie.

Michelle's Spell said...

I think you should write a story about the painting and go from there. It's really interesting and JK is an interesting figure. Love the whole thing!

Anonymous said...

It could be the new Picture of Dorian Grey(Ryan Correctional version).

Anonymous said...

Change the title to "Grey Mattergy."

JR's Thumbprints said...

Actually, the artist/prisoner is located at Mound Correctional Facility. I like the title idea, thanks.

Anonymous said...

O.K. Here goes... The artist I believe is sketching exactness. It is a combination of geometric mathematical formulae that dictate precision. The butterfly,
his escape from the abuse and abusing others(the exactness.) Unfortunately, the exactness is also his justification for his being abused and him abusing others...etc It keeps happening because the formulae dictates it so. (no responsibility). I won't comment on the poem until you tell me who called this work Dark Mattergy you or him?
If I'm all wet let me know. I will have a glass of wine and go swimming.MW

Anonymous said...

Make it Merlot. Michelle likes that.

R's Musings said...

Wow! Love the sketch & the poem! The structure is safe, totally encapsulating, but torturous, too, blocking what little sight is available, the denial of the past; a slow awakening. So cool, Jim! Like the title suggestion offered, too.

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim,

Very cool and eerie. So you do write poetry! Aha! I'm impressed by the whole thing. Cheers, Erik

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»