Tuesday, July 4, 2006

I-PICK, NOT U-PICK

I told Davey (he hadn’t moved to Texas yet, nine more days) to take my picture. He asked why. I told him not to ask questions, to get my camera off the bench and take my picture. He picked up the camera. From the viewfinder, eyeing the raspberries I had picked, he asked, "Can I have those?" I told him he could pick his own as soon as he TOOK MY PICTURE! He pointed out all the times I shooed him away from the raspberries, then asked why I needed the picture. I didn’t feel like explaining myself, I said, "For my blog."

"What’s a blog?" he asked.

By now the hot sun was beating down on me and the mosquitoes were making lunchmeat out of my shoulders, neck, and arms, and I didn’t feel like playing a thousand questions. "Snap the picture Davey," I ordered.

I’m surprised he captured my smile; it looked natural and not forced. I scrambled out of the pickery bush, grabbed my camera, and headed for the house, leaving my wife to supervise Davey, knowing that he would have a hard time finding any ripe raspberries. In a couple of days I'll be able to pick some more, at least another quart or two.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pic. You could have atleast given the kid some rasberries knowing that you picked all the ripe ones. Better for him than the gopstoppers. Easier on the plumbing too. Off to the shop.
Enjoy the rasberry. " "
'
{-}
MW

JR's Thumbprints said...

MW, It seems "the shop" called me this morning wanting to know if I'm a certified teacher for the State of Michigan. If I won't give a kid a raspberry, can you imagine my response to this phone call? --Jim

jbwritergirl said...

Hey, I see you stopped by my blog so I thought I'd come see yours.

Your strawberry picture reminded me of growing up back east. We used to grow everything we ate including the meat.

Are you worried about the job thing or what?

Michael Nolan said...

Yes, I see you stopped by my blog too and so I came to check out yours. Do you grow those raspberries in Detroit, or someplace else?

You might not envy our Southern Illinois place like you commented if you saw the number of dead insects that accumulate outside our doors and windows each morning. Frogs perch on our windowsills to savor the abundance, but they don’t even make a dent in the swarm. We feel like we’re living in the Amazon rainforest or something.

Cheri said...

Ahh children! I had one ask me why I colored on myself with markers last night, and when I looked at him quizzically he pointed to my tattoos. Great pic though!

ZZZZZZZ said...

children are so curious. nice pic jim! could have given him a few raspberries though, hehe.

Erik Donald France said...

Jim,

Nice succinct post -- excellent.
Good luck with the bureaucracy!

Cheers,
Erik

Anonymous said...

JR your on vacation. When you come back make sure you file all of the necessary paper work for the time you spent on their intrution. You can mix it up with the best of them... I'm going to sit back and watch the show. Have at it! MW

R's Musings said...

Bet Davey would've really, really enjoyed some of those raspberries! lol --R

Michelle's Spell said...

Great picture, Jim! I'm guessing I know the answer on the phone call thing. :)

vinyl pet toy said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my vinyl pet toy site.
Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»