Tuesday, July 11, 2006

BLANCHED MESSAGES














Never mind Harry Potter and Hogwart’s School of Wizardry. I’m not into mainstream, popular fiction. No way. Let’s be serious here: your best writers have "a cause," "a struggle," "issues," something worth fighting for. James Baldwin, a froggy little guy, had two strikes against him that can be summed up in three words: gay black man. Richard Wright, three words: communist black man. And if I may:

Dear Oprah, you missed the message in your movie adaptation of Wright’s "Native Son." You never utilized the story line where Bigger Thomas (the main character) intentionally murders his black girlfriend. Instead, you chose to concentrate on the suffocation of the white girl. Bigger Thomas accidentally kills the white girl and that becomes the only focal point of your movie. The black girl doesn’t count. This is what Wright wanted to get across to the reader—how society values one race over another. I guess we know who you cater to—white, middle-class, housewives. No wonder 50-Cent dissed you. So what’s your latest Oprah Book Club pick? I know it’s not Donald Goines.

When I was completing my undergrad studies I enrolled in a Black American Writers course. As part of my grade, I had to submit a paper and give a class presentation on a writer of my choice from the anthology: "Dark Symphony, Negro Literature in America." However, with the professor’s permission, I was allowed to study Donald Goines. I wanted to stress the point that there’s actually a place in mainstream fiction for ghetto lit and that perhaps Goines should have been included in this anthology. The professor knew the risk I was taking and explained to me going in that my message would go over like a lead balloon. Why? Because I was the only so-called "Honky" in the class. And guess what? After the presentation, not one person, minus the professor, enjoyed it. My message got lost in the color of my skin.

If I had a chance to do it all over again, I wouldn’t change a thing. Part of the prison culture is a steady diet of Donald Goines’s novels; afterall, he did time in the Michigan Department of Corrections on numerous occasions. The black prisoners are astonished that I, a so-called Harry-Potter-looking-mother, have read all sixteen of his books. And why not?

11 comments:

tygresstwin said...

I once had a twelve-year old question the validity of a Malcolm X essay I gave to her; even before she read any of it. I said, "This is an essay written by Malcolm X," and she said, "Maybe your version of it." As if I'd put a bunch of effort into re-writing material just so I could show my whitey slant. I'm a teacher; I don't have time to give an opinion. I tell my prison students all the time that I have to be neutral on politics and religion. Mostly it's for my sake, so I don't have to argue with those who value emotion and slang far above intellect.

R's Musings said...

Love the post, Jim! I read, "Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston in a lit class a few years back! Found it to be a fascinating look at a young black woman's journey of self-discovery, through her life in the deep South, written in a southern black dialect. Being Southern, myself, I loved it, read it aloud in my house, just to feel the rhythm of her words! Written in 1937, it was sharply criticized by the black male voices of her time, but Alice Walker revived interest in her work in the '70's and now whole new generations get to debate it in lit classes all over! Society benefits from our diverse voices; through our differences we find that we're basically the same, human beings struggling to find love and acceptance in ourselves and from those around us. Thanks for the reminder; I may just read it again, now. --R

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,
One of my areas for my phd was African-American lit, and I never even heard of Donald G. That's depressing. Will have to check him out! I'm in total agreement with you on the Oprah book stuff. I'm a big fan of Gayl Jones -- Eva's Man (black woman kills and castrates black man and fun antics ensue!) will never make the book club, I'm afraid, and that's what makes it so great! Thanks for the thoughtful post!

Wichita-Lineman said...

Wow! Good Stuff. I have to give you credit on walking your own path, which seems to cross several boundaries. I loved the Oprah letter. I'm not a big fan of her book club approach. I don't need her telling me East of Eden is a good book or that William Faulkner is a great author. Sadly, many white, middle-class housewives, let O make up their minds on what’s good and what's not.

ZZZZZZZ said...

I'm not all that into oparah. i don't see what the big deal is about her. not a harry potter fan either. dont get me wrong i love the idea of magic and such but i just never got into harry potter. great post today jim

JR's Thumbprints said...

There was a time in Detroit where you could go to the party store and purchase a bottle of O.E. and the latest Goines' novel. Anyone interested in his works (no pun intended) should start with "Dopefiend." As far as the anthology--my favorite is Jean Toomer. Also, I admire Toni Morrison (not anthologized here) for her novel "Song of Solomon." Perhaps I can get Triple Crown Publications to look at my writing. I don't think they have a whitey on their roster.

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim,

Very cool post. I'd not heard of Donald Goines before your post, either, and will definitely check his work out. As for Oprah, on the pragmatic level, she does get a lot of books published, gets them to a lot of libraries, and inspires more reading, which we can hope leads to readers branching out on their own. Her biggest recent mistake was supporting Frey the Liar-as-Memoirist.

Great post!

Anonymous said...

Hey Hogwart!!!! Don't beat up on Oprah so bad. She did "The Color
Purple." I saw her interview with Dr. Maya Angelou and it was conducted with grace and fortitude. Something lacking from our sensationilst news journalists today. I would agree the book of the month club is crap. I also agree with Robin. It is in our divertsity as a nation that makes us strong. Hitler called us "a mongrel nation", the irony being that Jessie Owens won the gold at the olympics in Germany and not his "Nordic Boys." Great post.MW

Anonymous said...

I find some information here.

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»