Thursday, August 23, 2007

HOOKING UP

In my bachelor days fine dining meant ordering by number, and if I had had more influence, our wedding would've been planned in very much the same manner--out of one of those Little Wedding Chapels that sold various packaged deals at reasonable prices. However, due to free loading off the future in-laws for longer than I'd like to admit (living in their damp moldy basement rent free had been a logical choice for stockpiling my money) I decided to go the traditional route. We had purchased a house jointly, and after making a deposit on a hall for a specific day, we decided to get married at the Catholic Church in our new neighborhood.

Enter Father Pasquali. We told him of our new home and that we'd like to get married on August 21st. Rather taken aback, he commented, "I hope you didn't reserve a hall."

My future-wife and I looked at each other and decided to let him continue.

"I'll have to check with Anna, our secretary, to see if that date is available."

When Father Pasquali left his office, there was no finger pointing, neither of us said, "I told you so." We simply waited. Let fate decide.

He returned with Anna in tow, and she informed us that all of August had been booked except for the 21st. I believe I made the initial comment, "We'll take it," but if you were to ask my wife, she insists that it was she who spoke first. One thing is for certain, both of us had to provide the necessary documentation in regards to our Catholic faith and pony up the money for marriage classes. Dripping with sarcasm, on the short ride back to our money-pit-of-a-home, I said, "I am so looking forward to learning all about marriage, how about you?" I needn't tell you her answer, afterall, we had already made a major purchase under different last names. What better way to demonstrate our faith and commitment.

13 comments:

Jo said...

What a cute story. When I got married, the priest, Father Belanger, was in a car accident on the Island Highway the day before, and he presided over the ceremony with a huge black eye.

the walking man said...

Jim my wife and I still have different last names, and my stepson a third just to throw into the mix.

As you probably can figure out from past rants I/we never got married in a church. The Judge who did the ceremony in the reception hall had been my divorce attorney before he was appointed to the bench. That brought things full circle and didn't cost me 250.00 an hour for his services that night.

Peace

mark

Beth said...

A miracle? Meant to be? That only the 21st was available in the church?

Marriage classes - who ever backs out as a result of the dire warnings you receive in those? By the time you get to that point, you're committed.

Princess Extraordinaire said...

I loved this....great blog

ivan@creativeriting.ca said...

Well, I'd say you did it straight-arrow.

I was married Anglican, but the priest had just published a book titled "Church Without God".

I'm not sure if they ever derfrocked Rev. Earnest Harrison, but it was pretty touch-and-go there for a while.

Ivan

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the story. MW :)

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

Man, you're brave! I don't know if I'd have the courage to go through with the house buying -- marriage didn't involve that for me. I do love priests -- I think it was all those Exorcist movies and whatnot. If I did it again, I'd have a priest for sure. Or maybe like Mark -- a divorce attorney would be okay as well! As long as it works and you're disturbingly happy, that's all that counts.

ivan said...

Full moon coming on.

Maybe Josie's got a touch of Full Moon Fever.

Her blog just went awol.

Full Moon Fever, and I'm getting Saturday Night Fever on my own blog.

I'm getting my literature mixed up with old pop music.


Supposing King Lear were Disco Duck.

That's about the oxymoronic feeling I'm getting on my blog of late.

Seems I too have two daughters, Goneril and Regan, one bad and the other good.

They are all over my blog and driving me to drink-- and old Disco:


Somebody help me, yeah.
Life goin' nowhere.
Somebody help me, yeah.
Stayin' alive
Life goin' nowhere.
Somebody help me.
Somebody help me, yeah.
Life goin' nowhere.
Somebody help me, yeah.
Stayin' alive

Ivan

Nick said...

That priest is kind of hot...

Erik Donald France said...

Jim, hilarious. I love your expression in the photo -- priceless. As for houses, definitely much harder to get out of than to get into ;)

Anonymous said...

Watching the birth of your children and cutting the umbilical cord are miracles of life to be celebrated. Enjoyed your perspective. Hard to accomplish in a society that embraces narcissim. Can't be more real . MW :)

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Nick,

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Ivan

Anonymous said...

Jim, There's nothing more like having a wife, child and a roof to live under instead of out in the streets!! --Bro, Ron