Thursday, August 30, 2007

A FEW GOOD MEN (AND WOMEN TOO)














I’m no G.I. Joe hiding in a foxhole in Afghanistan; I’m more like an ugly-ass Ken gymnasticising the parallel bars of a paramilitary organization. You don’t break the chain of command where I work; you don’t turn down opportunities; you don’t question your superiors, or your superior’s superiors—unless you’re begging to be verbally counseled and written up.

As a recent transfer to a new facility, I had forewarned my coworkers of my plan of attack, and they, in turn, forewarned me of the possible repercussions. So when our former prison warden pulled the school principal out of our staff meeting to discuss matters regarding yours truly, a former coworker, a teacher who retired years later after the State Police led her out in handcuffs, said “Damn you’re good.” And indeed, I thought I’d made quite an impression.

After their discussion, my red-faced boss returned, and with an accusatory finger pointed in my direction said, “You broke the chain of command.”

I’m no G.I. Joe, and I’m certainly not a whistle-blower either. I simply answered a memorandum the warden had sent me. I was a hostage negotiator at my previous worksite and he wanted to know whether I would continue in that capacity.

My written response started something like this: I will no longer go beyond the call of duty of a Michigan Department of Corrections School Teacher. I listed several valid reasons, including issues regarding my wage and years of service. This was the beginning of a long, tumultuous battle with various administrators. Years later, and I’m still that ugly-ass Ken protecting what’s mine. I guess you could say, “I have the power of schmooze.”

11 comments:

Erik said...

Very funny ;) So, paramilitary like the NRA and the Boy Scouts of America?

Hierarchies need to be challenged. Carry on, sir. . .

p.s. trouble posting for some reason (i.e. new laptop?)

Jo said...

Congratulations, you have the power of schmooze. Well, we always knew that.

The next time someone takes your picture, says "whiskeeeey". We might get a smile out of you yet.

Jo said...

I just took a closer look at that picture. You were smiling.

geewits said...

I've had many jobs where I ended up doing things "above the call" and it it just makes you resentful if it is not acknowledged. As far as the "going over their head" thing, I've done that, too. I just always played dumb when the person just above me went berserk. The best response is "Well, they asked."

Beth said...

Better an ugly-ass Ken than a rebellious G.I. Joe - the older and more experienced you get, the more you learn the value of schmooze.

the walking man said...

Fuck 'em, you work for money not to stay chained in your cot at night. Never give up the fight with them because the only reason they are your boss is because they were too stupid to do your job and had to be moved somewhere, because it would have been to difficult to fire them.

Peace

mark

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Did you ever read Nicholas Gogol's Diary of a Madman?

The character was in a situation like yours, though he was a sort of a manual xerox operator, and not a teacher.

He went nuts.

Ended up in the "jigsaw puzzle assembly plant."

He thought he was in Spain. "The Spanish are very rude. They beat you often and call you crazy."

I think you are too stable to end up in a Gogol story.

Not me. I just quit one day and ended up-- sort of in Spain.

Bureacracies can drive you crazy.

Gogol-eyed.

Ivan

Bobby said...

Man, can you teach me?

Cheri said...

That's why I hate corporate bullshit. I'd rather work on my free will than of the ridiculous standards of someone else.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the read and congrats on your power of schmooze!!!MW :)

eric1313 said...

Damn the man!

oops...

you're part of that group.

Damn the rest of them!

Congrats on the Schmoozie! It was the first one I won. Set up a whole tsunami of awards from new blogger friends.