Wednesday, August 1, 2007

I LIKE TO FISH














Yesterday, as I entered the administration building (the clubhouse before our lovely gated community) custody staff corralled me. Entryway to the time clock, lunchroom, and bathrooms were off limits; all doors were locked.

As I stood in line waiting for my turn to pass through the electronic gate and into a shakedown room, a corrections officer started passing out twenty-dollar bills. "Here’s that twenty I owe you," he kept saying. At our facility, the maximum allowable amount you can carry inside the joint is twenty bucks. (Later in the day, this same C.O. was busy trying to retrieve his money.) As I stood there, I pulled a breakfast bar out of my pocket and ate it. The coworker beside me shook his head at my obvious cover-up; you cannot bring food inside either.

When it was my turn in the shakedown room, a corrections officer searched my personal belongings. "Why is this in here?" the officer asked, pointing to a crappie rig in my lunch bag.

"Do you want the long explanation or the short explanation?"

"The short," he said.

"I like to fish."

After taking off my shoes and socks, and emptying my pockets, I waited for an officer to frisk me. No problem there.

The only difficulty I had had to do with that damn lunch of mine. Not so much the fishing gear, but the storage thereof of my freshly cut cantaloupe and ham sandwich.

"Put your lunch on the cart."

"Do you have a refrigerator in here?" I already knew the answer to that.

"We’ll make sure it gets refrigerated."

"How long will that be?" I asked.

My persistence paid-off. They allowed me access to the lunchroom. When I returned though, they made me get back in line for another shakedown. By now, I had had enough. What could I possibly smuggle in, after being searched and allowed access to a secured area? The sergeant decided it was a little too excessive and let me pass through.

Others were not so lucky:

A corrections officer didn’t leave his cell phone in his car. When he entered the administration building and saw the line, it was too late. He voluntarily informed the sergeant of his mistake, which in turn, resulted in an automatic five-day suspension without pay.

The librarian (why is it always the librarian?) wanted to use the bathroom. After being denied the luxury, he decided to utilize the parking lot. Upon his return, custody staff confiscated his identification card. The charge: Refusal of a shakedown. The consequence: Suspension with pay pending investigation and possible termination of employment.

Here’s my hypothetical question: If, after a long drive into work and a very large cup of coffee, would you be compliant? Or would you find a place to relieve yourself?

11 comments:

the walking man said...

For me personally, incontinence is not an unfamiliar thing so i just would have done what (I think) Neil Armstrong was told to do when he had to pee before his shot into space...just let it go in my drawers, gone through the search then asked my supervisor for a sick day.

Ruth W. said...

and how many of those different fishes have you caught??

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

"Big Brother is...."

Ivan

geewits said...

I'm sure all of that is to protect YOU, right? Did you feel protected?

Cheri said...

Jim I have a question for you...

Why for so long did I not see this blog? I was checking it the other day and got all these crazy pictures still.... I am so lost.


I have to play catch up tomorrow on my day off and read all these posts...

karma lennon said...

What? That's insane! What do you do again? I will have to go and read more. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

Anonymous said...

If this happened to me last week I would have had to do what TWM said he would do. Or I would have been so angry I would have relieved myself on the front door.
The sad thing is I watched the Sargent open the bathroom for a
C/0. Why wasn't he given the same
common courtesy. Enjoyed the post. Fishies look nice. I have caught a few of them. Need to fish more. MW :)

eric1313 said...

Fish in a barrel; the convicts and the keepers. There's not too much difference between the two from your description.

But at least you get to go home at the end of the day. Even if the job stays with you more than you'd like it to, you do get to leave and go fishing.

I miss fishing when the back crappie went on bed in May. Minnows on bobbers, that was it. My uncle and I had our limits in an hour forty five mins after first cast. At White Lake. Love times like that. Used to rig for walleye trolling too. Loads od fun, once you find where the school is swiming.

singleton said...

This is just crazy! Hell, I don't even fish, and I'd rather go fishin' than go to that place!

JR's Thumbprints said...

Geewits has a point--it's for our safety. Anyone who smuggles in drugs or other items for prisoners jeopardizes the lives of everyone.

But is this too excessive?

After asking around, I heard that the librarian and the officers had a long standing feud going. Also, I heard that instead of letting him use the bathroom, he was told to go to the front of the shakedown line. Perhaps he had had enough. We all have our breaking point.

Interestingly enough, our facility has a difficult time keeping librarians. They must deal with the general population of prisoners and are very isolated from the rest of staff. Furthermore, bathroom breaks for the librarian and the teachers has been an ongoing issue for a very long time.

If it were me, I would've went to the front of the line and doubled over like I sometimes due coming out of my classroom. If I had to go bad enough, I'd become more vocal. If they didn't hurry the process, I'd probably pee my pants and then demand that they shake me down. Of course, a lawsuit would follow.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Usually the first thing I do when I get to work, is relieve myself!!! :) :) --Bro, Ron