Tuesday, August 7, 2007

TO BE A SUCCESS



Michael "Flash" Haggerty is so popular he no longer visits my house. Not that I want him over. I would much prefer seeing him at my old high school friend’s place in Capac, Michigan, where we can socialize over barbecued chicken and cold beers. I have put my foot down more times than I can count. Dug my heels in deep.


"That’s it," my wife threatens, "I’m calling Flash."

Her words sting. No man likes to be told they’re inadequate. Especially me.

Flash is known for his rock and roll roots in a band called Adrenalin, which later morphed into DC Drive. Flash started the band. Last time I spoke with him—the usual testosterone-filled, male-to-male greeting, "so how’s it going?"—he brought me up to speed on a few reunion concerts he participated in at the Emerald Theatre in Mount Clemens and the Freedom Hill in Sterling Heights.

During their glory days, the band warmed up for Bob Seger and Aerosmith at the DTE Music Theatre (or should I say "Pine Knob?") Their music appeared in the sound track of a Hollywood movie starring Louis Gossett Jr. However, Flash isn’t Flashy like his name suggests, even though he has a successful plumbing business in Eastpointe (or should I say "East Detroit?") and no longer makes every house call. Instead, he has employees do that for him.

"Go ahead," I tell my wife, dropping my pipe wrench. "Call Flash."




Flash is wearing the white jacket.

10 comments:

Cheri said...

Oh he's a sexy boy.

Erik Donald France said...

Very funny. . . You know, I've been here long enough to get your "older" references with the name changes . . . So, will Downriver become Metro South?
Sounds FLASHY. And will Comerica Park become something else now that Comerica departed our fair city magnet?

Another thing I saw today -- "Dads for St. Mary Magdalene" -- what the hell is that? Cracked me up.

the walking man said...

When my wife threatens to call whomever to do what I am doing by swearing at it first, during and finishing , I hand her skinny self the pipe wrench and say "before you call anyone..." That usually puts the
phone out of the equation.

Hey it's Eastpoint...we didn't want that part of Detroit anyway.

Now what's Flashes plumbing's phone number?

Peace

mark

eric1313 said...

I used to have a flying V. I loved that guitar. You just can't help but be called sexy with a red flying v.

Even if you're just playing the part.

Anonymous said...

The flying V's are worth some money right now. Nice post. MW

Leslie: said...

He's probably making more money in the plumbing business than he ever could have in the music business. Been particularly enjoying your last few posts, JR. Keep 'em comin'

thethinker said...

I really like that guitar.

geewits said...

Eeeew, he reminds me of my high school boyfriend. But at least he can fix the pipes.

Ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Well, I was never Michael "Flash" Haggarty, but I remember one night when my Strat conked out and I went into a strip routine.
"You ain't got much," the barmaid observed.

Thank god the power went back on.

Talk about flash.

More of a jumping jack, I think.

Ivan

Anonymous said...

Jim, I'd keep calling the plumbe back if I had water problems. Hey, he could of helped you back in your personal plumbing problem days, if you know what I mean. :) --Bro, Ron