Monday, August 6, 2007

THE POINT OF NO RETURN














My favorite albums are framed and hanging on the basement wall of my house. Nostalgia on vinyl, under glass ... relics of a by-gone era. Knowing how little room we have, my wife suggested I select a few favorites, those artistic album covers: Steve Miller Band's Pegasus, Journey's angelic-like Earth, Kansas's ship sailing to The Point of No Return, ELO's UFO, and of course, the Rockets' Rocket.

"Display them," she said, "and sell the rest." And I did.

Lately, I've been tempted to pry the backs off those frames, read the liner notes, and put needle to plastic. It ain't easy just looking at them when my wife's Sanyo stereo system, complete with turntable is nearby.

Luckily, a few years back I discovered twenty or so songs by the Rockets digitized and readily available in cyberspace. Do I feel badly about helping myself? No. Not really. As a high school kid, I bought those albums, T-shirts, and concert tickets. I was (and still am) a Rockets fan. Besides, their music has never been digitally remastered on CD.

I'm not sure my student appreciates David Lee Gilbert's voice like I do. David and he drank and did drugs together. Call it "The Has Been" and "The Never Been" wasting away their days; Two points of light on a wide spectrum of possibilities. One flaming out early; the other serving time in prison.

Currently, my student is fighting a habitual offender label he incurred. He entered a guilty plea to the possession and sale of cocaine in 1988. Ten more years were added to his minimum and maximum out dates for a 3rd degree sex offense that happened in 2000 here in Michigan.

Here's the paperwork the inmate signed regarding the drug charge:

It appearing to the satisfaction of the Court that you are not likely again to engage in a criminal course of conduct, and that the ends of justice and the welfare of society do not require that you should presently be adjudged guilty and suffer the penalty authorized by law ... yada yada yada ... therefore, it is ordered and adjudge that the adjudication of guilt and imposition of sentence are here-by withheld and that you are hereby placed on probation for a period of two years under the supervision of the Florida Department of Corrections and its officers, such supervision to be subject to the provisions of the laws of this State.

And my student's response sent to his attorney regarding his current sentence:

This conviction was used to compute my prior record variables and to enhance my sentence to 2nd degree habitual offender. If this 1988 conviction from Florida isn't supposed to be on my record, then I should have merit to appeal my sentence. I'm hoping that some good can come out of this. If this prior conviction can't be used, it would change my sentencing guidelines considerably.

If I were his lawyer, I'd deal with the realities of the situation. I'd ask: "Were you under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of your sex offense?"

I'll bet he was.

14 comments:

the walking man said...

The inmate is where he is, and he can spend from now until the day of his release writing arguing and pleading but unless he can pay the attorney his shit goes to the bottom of the might do pile.

"The Has Been" and "The Never Been"

I do like this line 6 words that pretty much sums it all up.


Selling your vinyl, at her urging, I think gives you the right to pry whatever the hell backs off of any frame you want and crank your old lady's stereo up so the windows pulse for a half mile around your house.

LET THE MUSIC LIVE AND BREATHE!

TWM

karma lennon said...

I can't imagine not playing my vinyl and just having it on the walls. Although sometimes I have been tempted to frame just the covers-sometimes I will choose records based purely on the artwork.

Michelle's Spell said...

Love your Rocket's tribute and the line about the has been and never was. I can't believe you got rid of your records! I still have my parents' collection and even though most of it is dreadful, I can bear to part with it.

Ellie said...

I know this isn't the point of your post, however, I have to make the observation that Mrs. Thumbprints is a wise woman..."Display the ones you love and sell the rest." No clutter, is the best way to live. :) In my opinion....

Erik Donald France said...

O man, there's a consistent schematic with those record jackets. Very cool. I have some of my sisters' albums framed and up: the records themselves were scratched beyond belief. But I also have some rarer playables and hope to transfer them to digital within the next year. Let pop culture ring ;

EA Monroe said...

JR, your posts about the Rockets and the inmate are interesting. Talk about temptation staring you in the face with your album covers displayed on the wall and your wife's turntable lurking nearby!

Nimh Sellers said...

I still Love Fleetwood Mac, Rumors as one of my all time favorite records/8-trakc/Tape/CD.

My mom used to dance around listening to it while she was pregnant with me. I guess I could have come out embedded with worse rock lyrics. :)
-P

Jo said...

JR, which ones did you sell? Vinyl sounds better than anything. Tapes and CDs were never able to match the sound quality of vinyl. Analog sound (vinyl) is closer to the sound waves of real sound than digital is. If you have a turntable, play them...!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the read. Nice post. MW

JR's Thumbprints said...

Proxima Blue,
The Rockets version of "Oh Well" is way better than Fleetwood Macs version. Gilbert knew how to belt it.

singleton said...

Well, we had a vinyl party Saturday......Jimi, The Beatles,T Rex, David Bowie... the original albums and I can name the birthdays they were presents for, the release dates they were purchased on....the store I was standing in.... I think it's awesome that you have 'em framed, you just need sliders, so you can take 'em out and take 'em for a spin!

geewits said...

After the news the other night, I asked my husband, "Do some people not get the whole cause and effect thing or were they not taught it or what?" I don't understand people that keep doing crimes. Is part of their brain missing?

eric1313 said...

My mom raised us with Kansas, ELO, Journey's Escape album and all the eighties music.

I wish I could forget Night Ranger
"Motorin!"

It was awesome in Boogie Nights, though.

Anonymous said...

Jim, I also have wanted to play some old vinyl records. Looks like I'm coming over to your house to play some vinyl on your old ladies stereo player!!! :) --Bro, Ron