Saturday, August 11, 2007

SELF-IMPLOSION














The last time I saw the Rockets, Lenny D. kept pestering me to sell my concert tickets at regular cost. I'd spent the summer of 1981 teaching swimming classes and lifeguarding for the Bruce Township Parks and Rec. Not much money coming in; yet, I'd purchased those two tickets with the intentions of asking my coworker, a popular high school cheerleader, whom I never talked to except for the occasional "hello," if she'd be interested in going. In order to challenge myself, I told a few friends, perhaps for no better reason than to hear their words of encouragement.

Thus Lenny D. And his phone calls. And he wasn't a friend. Just someone from my high school graduating class. The cousin of a friend. "Are you going to ask her?" I heard him repeat into the receiver every time I gave a reason for my delay. I hadn't yet discovered that some ten years later he'd run a backhoe over a major gas line in downtown Rochester, Michigan, and blow up a building. I had learned about the explosion on the local news. His involvement was revealed months later when I asked, "What happened to your eyebrows?"

He fessed up to the accidental dig but claimed no one informed him of the gas line.

"You're lucky to be alive," I said. He acted like it wasn't such a big deal. No deaths occurred and the area had been evacuated.

"You're too late," he claimed. "Why don't you sell me the tickets?"

The phone calls continued into the next morning, the day of the concert, pushing me over the edge. "I already called her," I said. "It's a done deal."

Shortly thereafter, I picked up the phone and made that call. There's no sense in going over the details except to acknowledge that it was our first and last date and that I had probably sabotaged all chances of ever dating her again. By the start of my senior year, I became a faded memory.

As for Lenny D., I'd run into him now and then. "Hey, can you give me a ride home?" he asked. He had a suspended driver's license for too many DUI's and the Michigan State Police were waiting for him in the parking lot of our local watering hole.

"Sure," I said, knowing that my condition faired much better than the night I'd last seen the Rockets in concert.

Here's Turn Up The Radio:

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can identify with this. I so wanted to make a good impression with one of the cheer leaders and asked her to go with me to Stoney Creek for a swim. I was so excited that she said yes when we got to the beach after changing into our bathing suits I proceeded to walk right into one of the many signs on the beach as we engaged in conversation. Gave myself a concusion, and wasn't much fun after that.
Enjoyed the post. MW :)

the walking man said...

Jim I think every guy can relate to this. My first concert ever was Cat Stevens, I was in my senior year had already whooped a couple of people for being stupid, it was anew school for me and I just didn't fit.

Less affluent looking guy amidst a bunch of preppies and i had a crush on an almost hippie chick that used pachouli scent. Man i got her to go to the concert with me and couldn't think of a thing to say to her.

Never even found out if we ad anything at all in common, maybe she was as nervous as I was, but suffice it to say it was the last single date i went on for a few years.

God being an older teen ager sucked.

Peace

mark

geewits said...

Oh my! Being a rabid beer drinker, I wish I had gone to "ahem" UNBEER before I read the line "What happened to your eyebrows?" That almost killed me. And thanks!

patterns of ink said...

A great mix of past and present. I sometimes wrestle with knowing how much "future knowledge" to inject into a story from the past and how to step in and out of those time warps. You do it well.

patterns of ink said...

A great mix of past and present. I sometimes wrestle with knowing how much "future knowledge" to inject into a story from the past and how to step in and out of those time warps. You do it well.

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Ah, he cheerleader date.
She said to me afterwards, "The only reason I went with you is to check out the other guys in the squadron."
Airman shot down.

Ivan

Cheri said...

Jim I love your life. Not in a romantic sense, but more of an awestruck way. I wonder if I will be this interesting when I'm your age. (Not that you're old, not by far my friend!)

JR's Thumbprints said...

Cheri,
I believe you said your Dad has some of the very same albums. Is he young too? Continue writing. You have a knack for it.

Michelle's Spell said...

Jim,

Cool post and excellent picture! I'm going to have to catch up on everything!

Anonymous said...

Jim, Great post. I remember seeing The Rockets at Pine Knob many moons ago! Those were the wild days! --Bro, Ron