Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I THINK I UNDERSTAND














Where do you draw the line between sanity and insanity?

Our newest quarterly prisoner evaluation form has the following rating system:

4 – Excellent
3 – Satisfactory
2 – Needs Improvement
1 – Unsatisfactory

It has been brought to my attention that giving an inmate the last two rating numbers for attendance is highly frowned upon.

Therefore, I asked, "Why are those ratings there?"

I was told to use the last two ratings for intermittent discipline. In other words, use the same quarterly evaluation form during a non-quarterly evaluation time to warn or terminate the offender or offenders due to lack of attendance.

So I said, "Isn’t that more paperwork?"

I was told that it’s a deterrent, that thumping one or two inmates over the head this way will send a clear message to the others.

Therefore, I pointed out that I had been writing the necessary "036 Out of Place" tickets on the offenders and then evaluating them each quarter on their attendance.

"You’re not kicking them out?" I was asked.

"No," I answered.

"You should kick them out, and then do the evaluation form to terminate them from your class roster."

I thought about it for a moment, before agreeing with my boss.

Here’s what I’ll do: Give all my students "Excellent" or "Satisfactory" attendance ratings on their quarterly evaluations. A few days later, the offending parties will get "Unsatisfactory" ratings on non-quarterly evaluations once they’re found guilty on tickets I’ve written on them.

Does this make sense? All of my students will have "Excellent" or "Satisfactory" attendance, yet some will be thrown out for poor attendance.

Here’s why it will work: I’ve been told to backdate all my quarterly evaluations.

14 comments:

eric1313 said...

Are the Gods crazy?

Or just the god of corrections.

Good luck, man.

geewits said...

Huh?

JR's Thumbprints said...

Geewits,
That was my initial reaction. The way I see it: My employer wants the inmates to look good on paper so they have a better chance of going home. They must be saving those quarterly evaluations for the parole board and leaving the nonquarterlies behind.

the walking man said...

This must be why the HMO system will work because the more prisoner's they release faster, the less the state will have to pay in HMO premiums.

Jo said...

I think The Walking Man hit the nail on the head.

What an insane system...!

Johnny Yen said...

Oh my god, are you sure the principal of the alternative high school I teach at isn't your supervisor as well? Because we've had an almost identical conversation with her.

Good to see you posting again, Jim. You were missed.

AndreAnna said...

Somehow, this is reminiscent of my corporate job, which in fact, is not in a prison. We do have cubes though.

Ruth W. said...

plain stupid...oh my, I'm so worried about the future.

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

JR, you once were lost, but now you're found. Sounds like you've got some regs written by Milo Minderbender, eh? Here's a thought, though: As for the rating "Needs improvement," can't that safely apply to the entire inmate population?

JR's Thumbprints said...

Pawlie Kokonuts,
Are you kidding? We're not even complying with the law "No GED, No Parole." Sweep it under the rug. All better now.

thethinker said...

Oye, I'm so confused.

Erik Donald France said...

Jim, you have a steady job waiting for you at independent schools, should you ever want one ;)

Scarlet said...

Are you trying to scare us?? It's working!

Danny Tagalog said...

Aye, I'm nonplussed by this nonsense. What do your colleagues think?