Wednesday, July 11, 2007

FISHING WASN'T ALWAYS THIS EASY

Back in the day, our prison school hired substitute teachers to fill-in during the summer months. Vacations meant returning to complete chaos, to stolen supplies, and destroyed books. One sub in particular, God rest his soul, knew how to go through the motions; he’d sit at the teacher’s desk for eight hours, let the class assignments pile up, and take shoddy attendance records on scrap sheets of paper. When confronted about it—“I showed you how to do the attendance and log scores on the computer”—he’d act as if he needed more training on the intricacies of running a prison classroom.

The man had taught high school history and government classes for thirty-some years (only updating his classroom lesson plans after major elections) and he collected his paychecks from the Michigan Department of Corrections for thirteen summers straight. He seemed skittish around the inmates, yet risked life and limb to rustle up some grub from the prison chow hall. My guess: he was too lazy to pack his own lunch or he actually liked the food. Also, he never married, his public school salary was larger than my prison salary, and he had his supplemental incomes (prison job and rental properties). Shortly after retiring from the public school system and declining a permanent job in the prison system, his name appeared in the obituary section of the local paper. His day in the sun was over.

The MDOC no longer hires substitute teachers, and from my observations, it’s probably just as well. I’ve always thought we should get a student teacher from Wayne State or Oakland University. Something to break-up the monotony. We need a guppy or two, so we can watch them swim in the fish bowl, so we can be entertained.

11 comments:

Ruth W. said...

yes, that would be entertaining indeed

Ruth W. said...

Do you enjoy ice fishing also?

JR's Thumbprints said...

You'll never catch me skating on thin ice. Why take the chance? I've seen too many helicopters flying over, looking for those crazy, dedicated ice fishermen.

Ellie said...

So you would be the cat to his (the new guy on the block)guppy? I can see where that might be entertaining.

Beth said...

do you watch Prison Break? good show...totally unrealistic, but still entertaining.

My daughter is a teacher.....wow, I hope she never has to teach in a prison. Teaching jobs are hard to come by. why is that? People are constantly having babies....those babies grow up and need to go to school....we need to get rid of all the dinosaurs in the school systems and replace them with the young guppys.

ivan said...

People hate it when I tell them, thisbut you kind of bury your climaxes in your stories and accounts.

Hm. Come to think of it, a lady once told me that too.

Ivan

Anonymous said...

Nice story and enjoyed the post. MW

JR's Thumbprints said...

Beth,
Public school teaching jobs are hard to come by due to nepotism. Also, some of those babies are potential criminals. Currently, I have students in my classroom who were three or four years old when I first started with the department of corrections.

Ivan,
Not even Freytag's Modified Triangle here because it's all down hill my man. Luckily, I haven't reached the bottom yet.

Erik Donald France said...

Excellent tale, Jim. Is it true that teachers in Magnet schools don't have to have the same certification? it IS true for independents/privates/many parochials.

Floundering fish seem the rage these days ;)

Anonymous said...

A days pay for a days work! Keep it up. --Bro, Ron

Kate Duva said...

I tried to imagine subbing in a prison and it made my days of subbing for seven-year-olds tossing underwear around the room seem downright warm and fuzzy. But when you mentioned all the "potential criminals" out there, I remembered how I was mandated to report children whose lives may be "in danger." Shouldn't being in danger of ending up behind bars count?