Thursday, July 26, 2007

THE GREAT MARCHENKO'S CATCH-22













“You shouldn’t’ve violated the conditions of your parole,” I told an inmate sulking in my classroom. His first bit involved a B&E, where his partying friends encouraged him to steal an expensive scale from a specialty store. The idea was to use it for weighing their dope. Never mind that they lost sight of their goal when one of the inmate’s friends thought it would be funny if they called the cops on him.

“What?” the inmate asked incredulously, “The Great Marchenko,”—he often referred to himself in the third person, as if observing himself from a distance would ease his pain—“can’t drink a beer in his own home?”

“Was it a condition of your parole?” I pressed.

“The Great Marchenko can’t have a beer in his own home?” he repeated.

Knowing the circumstances of his first felony conviction, I was somewhat embarrassed for him; I asked anyway, “What? Did Operation Night Hawk come pounding down your door?”

“Worse,” he said, “my wife called the cops!” He explained that he was sitting in his favorite La-Z-Boy watching a football game when the Five-O arrived.

I could tell he was looking for sympathy. I’m no dummy. “Marchenko,” I asked, “were you smacking the old lady around prior to the opening kick-off?”

He wouldn’t answer me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please exam the bottom half of the displayed Prisoner Assaultive Risk Screening Sheet. Take a closer look at the series of questions. Notice how tying the knot, at least once in your lifetime, can make you less assaultive. The irony.

14 comments:

Ruth W. said...

good grief...

Sornie said...

That definitely sheds some light on why certain people are behind bars...

Danny Tagalog said...

Oh my.

By the way, came across this in Urban Etiquette

http://www.miamiherald.com/466/story/181902.html

I hope you never 'see' such a thing, but - another absurd ruling eh?

JR's Thumbprints said...

Danny Tagalog,

...a prison cell, which is owned and operated by the government, is neither public nor private but is a ``limited access public place.'

I left the Miami Herald the following comment:

I work in a prison. It's good to see that the self-manipulator could only manipulate himself. Hooray for justice!

Thank-you for sharing.

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

I'm afraid to know what Marchenko interprets "kickoff" to mean in a domestic environment.

Blondie said...

Isn't everyone just sitting around in their La-Z-Boy when the cops show up to haul 'em off?

These poor victims!
Assinign.

Jo said...

I agree with Ruth. Good grief.

Did you hear about the two fellows in Connecticut who were paroled and then went out and murdered a family? The parole board claimed they were 'low risk'. Who makes these bird brained decisions?

geewits said...

I'm confused. You can't drink beer in your house after a B&E conviction? Or was it a domestic violence thing?

the walking man said...

What Marchenko can't steal a high end dope scale and beat the shit out of his old lady then sit in his lazy boy having a beer without the po-po coming in? Where is justice headed in this society?

And I do like the idea that a second time sexual offender/assaultive person, who has no juvenile record & doesn't cause trouble while inside the walls can be considered a low risk. I mean we keep these fella's locked up two, three, four years. Decisions made by charts and reports, shows them how the real world works.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Geewits,
I'm almost certain the Great Marchenko's alcohol consumption clouded his judgement. At least it did the night he decided on doing the B&E. I'd have to read his court transcripts to get a better handle on this issue; unfortunately, I've got better things to do.

Eleonora said...

It´s very similar in Spain.

Often the minors are liberated by the simple fact from being a minor and not for the crime that has committed for very horrible that had been your crime.

I don´t understand why for a few things they are children and for others they are adults.
People are crazy as Dylan says in " Things have Changed "...

Best regards from Eleonora. :)

Bobby said...

My HR department filled out one of those for me, what the . . .

Erik Donald France said...

Jim, love the title and the tale. Tying the knot, eh? What a bizarre diagram, as if marriage changes one's status in the criminal behavior dept. -- or on IRS forms. . .

Marchenko is an excellent name, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Jr. I am curious, and agree with Erik. The name Marchenko... are you displaying your slavic roots?
Great post. MW :)