Friday, July 27, 2007

DON'T SAY A WORD














My dog has mange and all I keep thinking about is how an inmate gave me scabies. Four years into my teaching career, moving from desk to desk, offering each prisoner help on their class assignments, and what?--I get scabies. If I had known the possibility was there, I would've stayed behind my desk like I do now.
In the lunchroom, before I could take a bite from my sandwich, I started scratching my forearm. The institutional maintenance teacher asked me what was wrong.
"I don't know," I said. I broke out in a rash, little white flecks dotting the surface.
He suggested I scrub my arm with some special medicated soap he kept in his storage area. His suggestion turned out invaluable.
On the way home from work I went for a check-up. The doctor told me a parasitic tick burrowed under my skin and laid eggs. He gave me a prescription for a delousing shampoo. "Just in case," he said. My wife washed everything in site: clothes, bedding, pillows, you name it.
The next day I announced to my first class that someone gave me scabies. I described the symptoms and told them about the medicated soap. Instead of thanking me for the free advice, a few convicts complained to the assistant deputy warden. "You must leave immediately," she said. "We'll give you administrative leave. Make sure you get a doctor's note saying you're okay to work." She kept talking like I had a flesh eating bacteria, treating me like a leopard.
I did as I was told. Came back the very next day, note in hand. Personnel said they would not let me have administrative leave unless the prison health care staff reported a case of scabies. No cases were ever reported. I had to use my own personal time.
My dog has mange, but it's not the contagious type. Eye drops twice a day. We go for long walks. She meets other dogs. I don't say a word. Why should I?

9 comments:

Ruth W. said...

Scabies!!! I itch just thinking about it.

Jo said...

Oh, yuck. Blame the victim.

Bailey has turned into a gorgeous dog. I hope her mange goes away.

Leslie: said...

Poor little puppy. I hope she's not suffering!

Nimh Sellers said...

You've been a busy blogger I see. :> Hopefully the mange will clear up soon. That really sucks that you got scabies, eeewww and then had to use your personal time!

I was late to work one morning because my bus was involved in a fairly bad accident and I was managing the scene until paramedics and fire arrived. One of my coworkers even witnessed me there. And work?
They made me make up the missed time. Bastards!

-P

geewits said...

Ha ha! A leopard? Did you do that on purpose? You don't think it's rude to let your dog "meet" other dogs when she has a contagious disease? Man, you are cold.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Geewits,
The vet said my dog's mange is not contagious, so if any one asks about the patchy hair loss near her eye, my standard answer is "I dunno." Why create an unnecessary concern.

Proxima Blue,
It's too bad stuff like having to make up missed time during an accident doesn't make the local news. We have a "Wall of Shame" segment on a local tv station; your case woud be a prime example.

Anonymous said...

Nice pic and story. Had to put our dog down today. Tumor broke open on his leg and would not stop
bleeding. Wasn't easy. Enjoyed the story. MW

singleton said...

Oh, here's to Bailey and a quick fix, I hope! We've battled that same stuff here, She's good to go to puppy parties anytime!

Eleonora said...

Recover soon you and your dog. :)

The world is full of pickpockets!.

Regards.