Monday, July 2, 2007

THE DIRT MAN














I didn’t know what to think the day I came home from work and the neighbor woman across the street told me that a man was lurking in my wife’s flowerbeds.

Not sure what I was hearing, I asked, “A man in the flowerbeds?”

“Yes,” she replied, and added for emphasis, “A man with a flashlight.” She explained that as soon as she went to get her cordless phone to call the police, the man had mysteriously disappeared. “It was real early in the morning,” she said, as if to justify why she hadn’t at least called us.

At that moment, it dawned on me who she saw.

The next day, when a coworker got into my van, I asked him, “What were you doing in my wife’s flowerbeds?”

He had been riding his ten-speed to my house every weekday morning. He seemed somewhat embarrassed.

“I wasn’t in the flowerbeds, I was looking at the different plants with my bike light.”

“Sure you were,” I responded. His answer seemed reasonable, considering he teaches Horticulture Classes at the prison … oh, and catches a few small fish once in a blue moon.

21 comments:

ShadowFalcon said...

Thats is very bizzare you should have chased him off with sticks

JR's Thumbprints said...

Maybe next time I will. Then again maybe not, since we carpool to work.

Erik Donald France said...

Haha -- good fish story, Jim!

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Mystery solved.

The poor guy was looking for dew worms so he could fish.
Probably lives in an apartment. :)

Ivan

patterns of ink said...

Was he getting worms for that bass?
Hey, I scrolled down and saw yet another picture of that waterfall/pond. I want one of those. I'm going to look into it. Have you ever posted a "how to" on that topic?

Jenn said...

Hide, worms, hide.

Anonymous said...

Nice pic JR if I say so myself.
Needing to find much bigger fishies. MW :)

Anonymous said...

Nice pic JR if I say so myself.
Needing to find much bigger fishies. MW :)

JR's Thumbprints said...

Commenting twice won't make that fish any larger.

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

Looks like he catches fish IN the flowerbeds, silly surrealist fishmonger guy.

Nimh Sellers said...

I was wondering why the post was called "Dirt man" when he was clearly holding a fish. Now I get it!

Funny story.

-P

Sienna said...

Your back!

JR I have a picture for you, big fish pic...it's not mine so I can't post up...I know I will fwd to Ivan and he might be able to email it on...being your Dad and all.

Glad your back.

Pam

singleton said...

"“I wasn’t in the flowerbeds, I was looking at the different plants with my bike light.”"...

Classic!
Maybe he should put emergency flashers on his fenders!

ivan said...

JR and Sienna,

While I am a clutz at mailing pictures, I thought that you and JR might get a kick out of accessing the picture you mention.

I have just put it up on my blog,
http://www.creativewriting.ca

Just click onto this comment, JR and Pam (Sienna).

Eat your heart out, JR, you and your fish pictures!

Size matters!

Ivan

EA Monroe said...

That's a little fishie. So, he must only tell little whoppers and not big whoppers.

ivan said...

E.A.,

All poets come accompanied by a lyre.

...Or did I spell that wrong?

Ivan

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

Glad to know your friend -- great picture!

Crashdummie said...

So the mystery was solved? Bummer…

eric1313 said...

The mystery of the bait thief.
Nice work.

eric1313 said...

So, are you blogging again?

Anonymous said...

Jim, He probably was looking for a little BAIT. Worms that is! --Bro, Ron